Main Menu

devardi glass

Started by bbbeads, October 19, 2011, 08:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bbbeads

Just bought a small batch of devardi glass to try out.  Would appreciate anyone's opinions or advice.

Fruddy

It's nice glass, but if you are used to Effetre etc., be wary of it - it is very very VERY shocky!

awrylemming

Very very very very very very shocky.  :P

k00m

Here's an older FH thread about it.
And here's an very long LE thread about it.

I've never tried it myself but it looks like they have some lovely colours.
- Kerra -

bbbeads

Will keep that 'shocky' word in mind when I try it out.  Hasn't arrived yet.
Thank you

Pat from Canvey

Could always preheat in the kiln before using to see if the shockiness improves.

awrylemming

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on October 20, 2011, 07:46:31 AM
Could always preheat in the kiln before using to see if the shockiness improves.

Sadly Pat, this is one of those occasions when it doesn't make any difference whatsoever.  Not all of the colours are shocky, but when you get one you need to duck!

Madam Steph

Now I'm scared!!!

I'm waiting on a Devardi order, and I'm the world's biggest scaredy-cat re thermal shocky stuff

Linda  :(

awrylemming

Nah, you'll be fine - the worst culprit is the devardi equivalent of EDP.  Absolutely delicious colour, but like EDP, shocky.  So if it looks like it, do lots of waving around at the top of the flame.  Their glass doesn't like overheating anyway, it tends to burn the colour out, so always be gentle and slow with it, and I tend not to mix it with other manufacturers either.  I live in hope that they'll improve their glass, as the colour palette is wonderful.

Madam Steph

Well, my Devardi glass and mandrel arrived this morning.

I have labelled it up and put it separate in a jar and so far I have sat looking at it 'cos I'm too scaredy-cat to try it now :'(
The colours look lovely though, so I WILL try it today (remembering to work it cool so I don't destroy them)

Linda.......shiver!!!!!! x

(I think I will get something heavy on though and wear my kevlar gloves  ::) )

awrylemming

Melt it woman!  I'd been told it was shocky before I worked it, didn't stop me  ;D  Just watch for the purpley edp fing.  I didn't get burned by this glass though, it just fell apart on the desk - it was a shard of CIM which did for me  :o

Blue Box Studio

Just the glass to try out on Kirsty then?

Mental note, don't buy Devardi.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Madam Steph

Quote from: awrylemming on October 22, 2011, 01:25:46 PM
Melt it woman!  I'd been told it was shocky before I worked it, didn't stop me  ;D  Just watch for the purpley edp fing.  I didn't get burned by this glass though, it just fell apart on the desk - it was a shard of CIM which did for me  :o

It was Effetre Trans Ink Blue and C.I.M. Crocus that put the fear of glass into me, Sue.

I've bought pinky stuff from Devardi. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm psyching myself up for it as I type  :-\

L x

bbbeads

Let me know how you get along please.  I'm a bit worried now.  How long was the delivery?

Madam Steph

I ordered and paid on 9th October, so 13 days. Not bad.

I was slightly wary when I fired up but the first rod was ok, second pinged off twice then settled and the third was fine

The colours washed out a bit, but not bad


Linda x