how soon can I take them out?

Started by turnedlight, May 21, 2007, 07:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

turnedlight

When can I take my beads out after annealing? The kiln stops, I turn it off, and can't resist going back to take it's temperature! do I really have to wait until it's back to 20ish degrees c? or can I have them at a higher temperature?
kathryn

♥♥Tan♥♥

I usually take them out as soon as I can handle them ;D

Dickie

If you do take them out early... bear in mind that if it's particularly cold outside (or in the environment you are removing them too), they can still thermal shock... as Tan said, as long as you can handle them they should be OK. But if they will still burn you if you held them I would seriously suggest being an ickle bit more patent and wait another 30 mins or so !!

It's difficult I know !!
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

♥♥Tan♥♥

That extra 30 mins really is the difference between a good bead and a shocked bead....if they are too hot to take off the mandrel, then they aint cooked yet!!

mams

Thats interesting I thought they had to be left 'til the kiln went cold, thats what I've been doing! duh ::) :-[

Michelle.x

littlegiggles


Dickie

That's 37.7 deg C for those of us in Metric !!... And that's warm but not hot
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

littlegiggles

lol... I get really confused with all the different temperature thingies... but I like that cos its a round number

Trudi

100° I was going to ask asbestos hands .....

I get mine out between 30-40°C


gwacie

NOT YET! 

Anything under about 38 deg C (100ish) is usually no problem for me.  I've been known to vent my kiln at 300 F to get things cooler faster.  If your kiln is fire brick it holds heat a long time.   You can usually vent the kiln (crack it open a hair) without losing heat TOO fast once you are close to finished.  If my kiln is full of delicate sculpted thingies I resist the temptation to vent but for basic rounds and such not a biggie.

♥♥Tan♥♥

OOO Bethany show us pics of your delicate sculpted thingies ;)

mams

Quote from: tanok on May 24, 2007, 03:04:34 PM
OOO Bethany show us pics of your delicate sculpted thingies ;)

What she said. Pleeeaaasssseee! ;D

Michelle.x

gwacie

HA! I'm not falling for it this time. 

glassworks

what they said - don't post and hide!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Françoise

Ditto, what all of the above said. Pleaaaaase, show us your delicate sculpted thingies....
Bisous,
Françoise :)