Main Menu

Beige......???

Started by Dee Dee, September 09, 2008, 10:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dee Dee

Does anyone know if you can buy beige coloured opaque glass?  Sort of weak coffee colour?

I've got some sage green opaque but it comes out too browny/green for me.  I could be doing something wrong?  I have seen some simple plain spacers (a lovely beige) on the web that say they are made with that colour, but mine don't come out like that?

I have tried mixing ivory with the sage green (first mixing experiment), but it came out crap, still too creamy and bubbled on the bead, must have burnt it, I guess.

Any thoughts, anyone???  ???

Mary

Handmade colours do vary from batch to batch. Avocado,maybe? It is quite similar to sage, but not as green.

Dee Dee

Quote from: Mary on September 09, 2008, 10:21:01 AM
Handmade colours do vary from batch to batch. Avocado,maybe? It is quite similar to sage, but not as green.

Yes, tried that one too, Mary, thanks - same result if not a little darker

Mary

What about CIM khaki? Is it too pale?

Dee Dee

Looking at the picture of it, it looks too pale - however, I have ordered some just to see!  Waiting....waiting ...for the postman......!!!

Nikki

Hi

I got a nice caramel colour from CIM "Canyon de Chelly" it might be worth a try.

Nikki

Dee Dee

Thanks Nikki, might have to give that a try....

The first picture is of MY Effetre sage green rods and the other picture is taken from Frantz Art Glass listing for "Sage Green Premium Opaque" - which is the sort of colour I am after  - what does the "premium" mean?  Is it a photography problem and that pale beige is not the colour you get?  Or is just a supply thing - maybe the next time I order I get a different shade?

Thanks everyone!

   

Kaz

There's also CIM Stoneground (very nice glass) and Reichenbach Caramel (got this but not tried it).
I think the problem with sage and colours like that is that they are handpulled and it is like buying knitting yarn - if they are from a different batch they can be a completely different colour.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Dee Dee

Quote from: Kaz on September 09, 2008, 11:32:20 AM
There's also CIM Stoneground (very nice glass) and Reichenbach Caramel (got this but not tried it).

More to add to the shopping list then.....! :)

You wouldn't believe how much glass I have bought recently, and I still haven't produced anything worth looking at!!!!

clasicat

Quote from: Kaz on September 09, 2008, 11:32:20 AM
There's also CIM Stoneground (very nice glass) and Reichenbach Caramel (got this but not tried it).
Reichnbach Caramel comes out alot darker than that - well it does when I use it away lol
I think this is it mind you could be wrong cos I tend to just grab rods of glass and don't look what I'm using  ??? 8) ;D
Claire x

Mary

I get darker colours from Chelley, and tan or gold rather than beige from Stoneground.

The problem with hand pulled is, like Kat says, every batch is different. Even some standard colours like coral can vary hugely, I've got everything from dusky pink to orange in coral!

Dee Dee

Maybe I need to order another batch from a different place and keep my fingers crossed!!! 

I just realised that my batch of sage green looks like the colour of diahorrea - equivalent to the type of beads I am making then!!!   :D   

Mary

You could e-mail Martin or Q or whoever, and ask about the colour before you order. Save getting more of the same!

Dee Dee

Quote from: Mary on September 09, 2008, 02:05:44 PM
You could e-mail Martin or Q or whoever, and ask about the colour before you order. Save getting more of the same!

That's a good call, not bought any glass from Europe (just the US), so will need to check shipping rates to Oz.

Just looked on Martin's website, and can't find sage green opaque.  But it is on Q's, so might drop him an email.

Thanks everyone for your help - if anyone comes up with a better alternative for a "beautiful beige" in the future, please let me know!!

Steph

glassworks

i'll make some paddles of these colours and also some of the odd and no-lot vetro's we've got and see if anything tickles ya fancy!....
;D ;)