Opal Yellow - variation in batches

Started by Bumpy Beads, August 25, 2008, 06:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bumpy Beads

I've been interested in the rubino thread where there seem to be lots of differences between the batches, and so I thought I'd ask about my opal yellow here.

I've only ever bought one batch of opal yellow before, and in these pictures it's the darker of the two versions. The paler version is from the batch I bought at Stourbridge on Saturday. Now if it hadn't been wrapped I'd have queried whether it was actually opal yellow, as the variation between it and my previous batch is staggering. The darker one is, errr, dark... and the paler one is, umm, pale. VERY pale.



You can see in this second pic that the darker batch has pinky rings through it, whereas the paler batch doesn't.



My question is; assuming it IS opal yellow (and I know it can vary so I'm sure it is) does anyone have any experience of other variations, and is it likely to give a significantly different end result to the one I've grown accustomed to? I've not had chance to have a play yet, and will report back when I have.

Cheers!
Heather


My Etsy Shop

flowerjasper

#1
 heather,
i have only had one lot of opal yellow and it was like the ones on the right,withe the pinky rings
the one on the left looks white to me,
sandy

Funky Cow

Well, I wouldn't say those two look related???
Cathryn xxx     


My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

mizgeorge

Not that it's any help Heather, mine looks completely different to both of yours.....

Les

it is opal yellow.... I first thought it was uranium opaque or something like that, but it strikes in the flame. I had some of the same batch and had the same thoughts... just give it a go and it should look like it should once it's been melted.

xx

flowerjasper

ohh,  thats interesting to know,
i would have stomped back to the seller then got egg on my face!!

Les

I did ring martin once I'd opened the order up.... but all was well

Bumpy Beads

Thanks Les. I did know opal yellow could vary a lot, but hadn't actually appreciated the extent of the variation! I shall have a play and wait for the magic to happen.  ;D

George, what's yours like then?
Heather


My Etsy Shop

mizgeorge

Kind of somewhere in between in colour and more variegated than ringed iyswim. But I love the colour it goes!

glassworks

these are the real handpulled colours, they are tremendously variable by batch... the "red" copper green for example is the normal copper green, but just happens to go red when they make it.. it strikes a little differently but effetre do not even have a code for it - you have to take the whole 100+kg batch and do not know which one you have till you open the box! ...  ;D ;D

the opal yellow from our batch is the same as the darker one here, the test is to strike it like les has done - the end colour is the one that matters!..

8)

Bumpy Beads

I actually quite like the fact that glass batches can sometimes be a little unpredictable. It's adds to the excitement of opening the kiln.  :P
Heather


My Etsy Shop

Isabelle

 haha, poor Martin, I rang him too cos I thought it wasn't OY!! It's growing on me though!