sugary beads - how to get even finish

Started by turquoise, July 23, 2008, 01:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

turquoise

Hi there, I have had a go at making some sugary looking beads recently. However the last lot look rather pants. A couple of problems, firstly I could not get the clear frit to stick onto black glass. Second how do you get the frit to cover the whole beads especially near to the holes? Also on one of the beads as I was rolling it in the frit it dented the one side of the bead.

Any advice please


www.morellobeads.co.uk

saffie

I have not done to many of these but...


to cover the whole bead i made sure i had quite a deep pile of frit then rolled the bead in it like you roll on marver to get barrel.

Haven't tried black so I can't help there and regarding dents, it is about getting the bead warm enough for the frit to stick but not to hot so the glass can be distorted. PPP i gues. I think there was an element of beginners luck with mine have not made anymore lately!!! ;)

turquoise

thanks for the advice, I like the colours of those beads too.  ;D ;D


www.morellobeads.co.uk

Lush!

Gorgeous beads there Sam!

I've just got my sugary frit today so I'll hopefully be having a good go at these later, then we can compare notes, Turquoise  ;)



www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Shirley

I haven't made any of these, but when I use other frits I always get the basic bead shape as good as possible, then bring it out of the flame to cool a little. I then heat the outside of the bead quickly and roll in the frit. That way the core is cooler than the outside and less likely to distort.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

SueP

I've only made 2 beads but what i did was sprinkle the frit like sugar whilst turning the warm bead underneath as I didn't want to spoil the shape if I rolled too hard  ;D

grandmabead

Saffie - those beads are lovely! I have never seen 'sugared' beads before. Do you need a certain size of clear frit and how much melting in should it have after you have coated the bead?
I really like this idea for making dangles for my Christmas tree (which is where all my fugly beads are going to end up as i can't bear to throw them away or hate anyone enough to give them to).

saffie

Quote from: grandmabead on July 23, 2008, 06:41:31 PM
Saffie - those beads are lovely! I have never seen 'sugared' beads before. Do you need a certain size of clear frit and how much melting in should it have after you have coated the bead?
I really like this idea for making dangles for my Christmas tree (which is where all my fugly beads are going to end up as i can't bear to throw them away or hate anyone enough to give them to).

frit is from our very own beady Sam it is the fine clear frit.
and on the note of fugleys someone has just taught me that what you may consider as ugly is not the same as someone else. I packaged up my fugleys and sold them in my bargain basement. made sure people knew that were not perfect or matching or even halfway decent but they sold!!! Go figure... anyway don't discount the idea of having a fugley sale very now and then  ;)

mad bunny

Quoteanyway don't discount the idea of having a fugley sale very now and then

I have a few beads I don't consider too good or I didn't like the colour, etc.  One of which I made into a pendant recently and my friend jumped at the chance to buy it. 

She thought it was gorgeous.  ;)

I got some frit off beady sam to have a bash at sugar beads, but haven't had the time to try yet.  :(   Maybe tomorrow.  :)
Practice and Patience really does pay off!  Beads actually looking good  Yippee  :o