Dual Fuel Newbie daft question of the day

Started by richardnash666, April 12, 2015, 07:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MangoBeads

My two pence worth .....

Always leave Oxygen valve open.

If you only have a 5 litre oxycon you need to get the best output from it that you can to get the best flame for the Alpha - IMO they run better on bigger oxycons although they will run on 5 litres.

SO if that is what you have heres a little tip from David.....

... cut the nozzle on your Christmas tree attachment back so that you have a bigger outlet hole therefore more oxygen can leave the concentrator and fuel your flame.... makes a huge difference everyone that we suggest it to at the workshop has done it and been amazed at the results.

PS The Alpha is the best torch in the world !

Calico Cat

Quote from: MangoBeads link=topic=46061.msg693975#msg693975

PS The Alpha is the best torch in the world !

Except for the Bravo 😉

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

richardnash666

Yay and success. Flame now a happy flame and me a happy me...now can no longer blame the tools for the dodgy beads that happen.

Thank you all for your advice and guidance.

And here is my Alpha in all its glory including arm rest

DSC_0085 by Richard Nash, on Flickr

DSC_0084 by Richard Nash, on Flickr

And also should mention I removed the Fireblanket and metal try I have under the flame for the photo.

I am now a very happy person ;D

Nicknack

So you should be, with a torch like that!  There'll be no holding you now. :D  Looking forward to seeing some of your beads.

Nick

richardnash666

Now it is working as it should with a few minor tweaks as suggested. Have already made some pleasing beads using techniques learnt on Saturday (Gravity Waves mostly) but am now enjoying lampwork even more. Couldnt wait to get home from work today and play.

cbeadies

Quote from: MangoBeads on April 13, 2015, 01:52:54 PM

SO if that is what you have heres a little tip from David.....

... cut the nozzle on your Christmas tree attachment back so that you have a bigger outlet hole therefore more oxygen can leave the concentrator and fuel your flame.... makes a huge difference everyone that we suggest it to at the workshop has done it and been amazed at the results.

Hi-jacking this thread for a moment, sorry...just wanted to ask if people do this for working with the Minor torch too or just for the more powerful ones? Thanks!  :)

MangoBeads

We do it with all our torches in the workshop and have done for years ;) minors, crickets , alphas ......

fionaess

Can I do this with a new 10 litre from Martin?

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

MangoBeads

The 10'litre from Martin doesn't have a Christmas Tree on it the pipe fits straight onto a metal fitting so the maximum flow is coming out of the machine anyway :)

fionaess

well thats good to know manda.. so I wont be taking my hacksaw to it then  ;D ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !