creative gallery archive 2014

Started by Andy Davies, January 06, 2014, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Davies

Hi Folks,
Thank you all for the 'welcomes.'
As a result of a comment from Moira HFG, saying people might be interested in seeing some of my efforts here are a few fused glass panels that I made some years ago.
I've always loved working with my hands and making things, understanding how things work and inventing new processes.
So it was inevitable that when we wanted a special lampshade I'd have a go at making it and I decided it would involve glass,  but of course I hadn't got a kiln so I built one for the job. I'm very easily distracted, I know this, but I figure so long as I'm having fun it doesn't matter, and Sophie is very tolerant of my hobbies (electronics, ham radio, photography, Photoshop etc) 

Anyway it all took a bit longer to make than I'd planed but I like it. 

]
DSCF6122 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr[/img]

I made 12 panels for the lampshade, it's 14" in diameter. The metal hoops are made from brass strip and the wires running from the top loop to the bottom loop are bronze welding rods brazed into place. The shade material is an industrial electrical insulating material known as 'Elephant hide' it's used in the manufacture of power transforms but it looks and feels like parchment.   

DSCF6120 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr[/img]

Each of the panels are formed from two sheets of window glass 3" X 3" The leaves are cut from aluminium kitchen foil and the vanes of the leaves are formed from thin copper wire.
On some I twisted a load of wires together and thinned them out to make them thinner as they extended to the tips. Others are a little cruder with bits of wire simply laid on.

DSCF6092 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

The suspension loops are made from nichrome wire, I started off by using copper wire to suspend the panels but the heat and time in the kiln crystallised the copper and it broke off very easily but I find the nichrome wire, as used on electric fire bars, works really well.     

DSCF6097 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Each of the panels are formed from two sheets of window glass 3" X 3

DSCF6089 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6099 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

In each case I cut a leaf shape out of the aluminium foil so it looked like the silhouette of a real leaf but you can see that the aluminium melts and balls up and produces this random thickness and this I why I decided to put the veins in (copper wire) Interestingly even though the foil melts away from its true form it leaves a ghost or whiteness showing the original profile.   

DSCF6126 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6129 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6131 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

I like to sign and date my work simply for my own satisfaction, I have a brain like a sieve and would never remember when I made it.

DSCF6137 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above is a coaster that again is made from window glass and aluminium kitchen foil. I love the random nature of the way the foil melts, it's translucent in places and silver or black in others.   

DSCF6134 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above on the left, window glass and natural tree leaf fused glass coaster,  1989
on the right, window glass and aluminium foil leaf with copper wire vanes, fused glass panel for lampshade, by Andy Davies 2001

DSCF6135 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above, this is a close-up of the natural leaf as shown on the left above. I had a load of trouble trying to seal organic material between two sheets of glass.  The edges of the glass were fusing together before the material had fully 'out gassed.'   The result was the two sheets were separated by a gas bubble. I never kept any of the failures but they weren't attractive, the gas laid down a black deposit all over the inside of the bubble. 

Next is something that isn't my work but I just thought you might like to see it.

DSCF6139 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Above   Datura vase 18" high.

Not my work!

This unusual Stained Glass and leaded vase was made by Wendy Jackson, Sophie's mother. We have Wendy's original sketches and design notes which are a work of art in their own right.
Wendy grew datura plants (deadly)  and I always admired them.
Ever seen one open, they open with a popping sound and unwind a fragrant trumpet and have a delicate aroma.
Wendy enrolled on a stained glass course when she was in her 60's but couldn't constrain her ambition to just two dimensions.

DSCF6117 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6145 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6144 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Looking down into the vase from above.

I was going to add some other work but the system just timed out on me!!

I've recovered from that but this will be all for now.

I've got other work including copper work that I think might be of interest but that's all for now folks.

Thanks for looking in

Kind Regards ... Andy

Andy Davies

Andy Davies

Here are some more things I've loved making.

I love using my hands to make things.

For the greater part of my life I've been involved with inventing and manufacturing very technical, very complicated machines and processes for industrial and scientific applications. (I'll put some pictures of machines at the end)

In the main these have required a considerable degree of precision and needless to say, extremely high level of reliability.

As a dyslectic I have to work extra hard at some aspects of life but there seems to be a benefit to the condition in a creative way. By the way I have to type everything in word and do a spell check before pasting it on to the web so if you're reading gobbledygook the intention was good but the spell checker sometimes thinks it knows better than me what I actually  means to say and I don't always spot what it's doing.  

I've designed and built special purpose machines for clients like Sony Kodak Roll Royce and Ford etc.  I've enjoyed that as it's been a wonderful outlet for my technical creativity. As I said, this has always involved a high degree of precision and it's a wonderful change to hand craft some freeform article without the constraints of monotonous repeatable precision.

I won't add much in the way of description to the pictures as each picture has its own description on flicker if you want more detail.

Anyway, here are some more things I've loved making.

DSCF6186 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Time-stood-still. By Andy Davies 1973
Watch components in acrylic block.
Height ~ 3 ½"
This is one of the favourite things I've made.  

DSCF6184 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

11th April  2010 006 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

copper foil Motorcyclist

11th April  2010 010 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

The village in the background is Aberporth.

September October 07 024 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

September October 07 027 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Back view of the Copper Lady showing details of the base. you can see how the copper is dished to give it a little extra form.

The finished piece, I think I like the shadow better than the copper figure. by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

The finished piece, I think I like the shadow better than the copper figure.

002 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr  

10" bronze casting 'Girl in hat' by Andy Davies
cast by  Pangolin foundry

DSCF6194 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

This is a ceramic form that I made to use in making a mould in which to melt/form glass for a light screen Andy Davies 1989

DSCF6195 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Glass light screen   Andy Davies  1989
This is a glass light screen that I made but unfortunately the mould split down the middle. The panel had a tongue of glass sticking out of it, I removed it and although it's spoilt I still like it.

DSCF6196 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Glass light screen   Andy Davies  1989
I was hoping that this would look like something made by René Jules Lalique. (in my dreams)

Candle holder sketch by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Candle holder

22 th Jan  2009 002 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

22 th Jan  2009 003 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Candle holder by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Candle holder by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

This looks a lot better since it's developed a lovely patina

Me around  2007 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr
Me. Andy Davies Life size.
This is a ridiculously flimsy structure made up of some strips of lead leftover from the flashing we fitted when we were building our workshop.

DSCF6191 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Racing Driver by Andy Davies 1999
Copper foil and copper wire 4" long excluding base

DSCF6190http://www.flickr.com/photos/113356215@N06/11836176186/in/photostream by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6189 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Water colour sketch. by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr
Water colour sketch. I love drawing and painting and airbrushing. I'm no good at it but I like the process and can waste hours at it.

I said I'd add some of the machines at the end so here they are...

I had an exhalant team of people and we manufactured special purpose machine of all sorts of applications too many to list here.  The following pictures show machines that  are typical of the sort of machines that are used to make components for the automotive industry.    

Untitled by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

2005_0422Image0002_1 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

PIC00005 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF4822 a by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

And finally below, this is me looking into a platinum melting furnace that was made for the Jewellery.

I've designed and manufactured units for melting gold, silver and platinum but none of the clients ever gave me any free samples.

The melt/pouring temperature of platinum is in excess of 2,000 °C

I used those special safety glasses to look at the eclipse of the sun, they are very special but no good for glass work.  

Andy-platinum 2 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Platinum 'Lip Axis Pouring' furnace.  This unit is powered by an electronic box of tricks out of shoot.
The platinum is heated by electromagnetic induction and this has the unusual property of being a cold heat source. I know that sounds odd but the thing that's doing the heating stays relatively cool, in fact it is water cooled.
As you use a microwave oven to heat food and the oven stays relatively cool so an induction heater is used to heat metals but instead of heating in the electric field like a microwave oven, induction works by way of the radio frequency magnetic fields. It can be controlled with great precision but comes at a high price.

OK thanks for looking in I hope you found it interesting.

Kind Regards ... Andy

Andy Davies

Andy Davies

At the risk of being boring here's some other stuff I've made.

DSCF6235 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr
This is a little drift wood picture frame with a tiny photo of my mom on the left and Sophie's mom Wendy on the right
Wendy is the lady who made the stained glass/leaded vase I showed you in an earlier posting.
The individual pieces are all quite small, not much larger that a cigarette, and they were stuck together with a hot-glue-gun.

Never go to the beach without picking something up...

Here are two shell lamps I've made with shells from local beaches.  

DSCF6232 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6205 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

This one (above) is above our computer work station

DSCF6206 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6234 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

This one (above) is over one of the kitchen work surfaces. Its borderline too heavy and I had to make a very substantial central spider that holds the shade to the lamp holder.

Wind chimes

DSCF6211 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

If I have to make a hole in a shell I find that rather than drilling holes, punching a hole is better.

I cut the point off a nail and file the cut end flat, then I hold the shell on a piece of soft wood that has a small hole just a bit bigger then the nail I'm using, and then with a hammer drive I drive the nail through the shell and into the hole on the wood. Always working from the inside of the shell. Razor shells are tricky though.

DSCF6212 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6213 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

If you try to make a hole in brittle material like shell with a pointed object you separate and split the material but if you drive a flat cut nail in to the shell it smashes through the shell forcing the fragments out in the direction the nail is going. Well most of the time that's what happens, you will have some shells shatter on you but all of the above wind ornaments and lampshades have been punched through this way.

Below    Jewellery cupboard

DSCF6216 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

I made this is a little jewellery cupboard for Sophie. it' has two sheets of acrylic one has hooks on one side and the other one has hooks on both sides. I did that way as then you never rub the necklaces together on two separate sheets of acrylic.

If we develop the skill to make beads I'll probably be busy making more cupboards.  

DSCF6217 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6221 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6218 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

I guess you know this but if you click on the image you'll see it larger in Flickr

DSCF6219 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6222 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6225 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

DSCF6220 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Something else I find is a good creative outlet is making and editing video and still images.

I've made over 200 videos that are on YouTube.

Mainly they are on technical things with quite a few specifically under the heading of 'About Radio' helping folk to get an understanding of electronics and radio circuits.

Here's a link to one were I'm having a bit of fun.

It's only 37 seconds long but it took a morning to make and edit please watch it to the end to get the punch line.

Don't forget to come back to Frit Happens  

http://youtu.be/jiWzVin0u64

That by the way is a bit of 'blue screen' editing. I got up one morning and it was a beautiful blue sky and I thought 'I can use that.'  

I like YouTube because I've found so many helpful things there, I just felt I had to make my own contribution by sharing a bit of what I know.

Currently (Jan 2014) with over 600,000 viewings it's most gratifying to have people thanking me for a video because it's help them with their coursework or its simple helped them to understand some technicality that was previously a mystery to them.

That's where I am with bead making at the moment, the things that you take for granted are still a real mystery to me but I'll have the fun of learning from people that 'know-how' and are prepared to share their knowledge.

If you were to look at my YouTube stuff you'd see I make all sorts of other electrical/electronic and mechanical stuff but it's too far off topic I think, it's just something else I do.

By the way I made a mess of the last posting in this category of 'Anything else creative' I managed to upload a part finished article that about 40 people looked at before I realised what had happened so if you have seen my posting that started with this image

DSCF6186 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

But you don't remember seeing this image below at the end of it

Andy-platinum 2 by andy.c.davies@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Then you may want to click on this link to see the completed posting.

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=43362.0

and if you want to see my other posting in this category it's here

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=43350.0

Thanks again for all of the kind comments, for the help I received so far and for taking the time to look through this, I hope it has been at least a little bit interesting.

What I need to do now is create that time machine I've been promising my self...

Kind Regards ... Andy

9th January 2014
Andy Davies

bob proulx

Andy, you are a man of many talents. I also love walking our beaches and making things with found objects.
These are my Nahant Sea Chimes, I sell alot of these.
Bob

bob proulx

Laurie is my lovely wife. She works for Allcare VNA and they just built a new office complex and I wanted to make a piece for her new office. The company has a Hospice division and there logo is Sunflowers. This piece is 40" long and she has a window where it will fit perfectly. In this piece there are alot of lampworked embellishments.
Bob

marklaird

Was given a fusing and slumping course at Warm Glass for Christmas so I spent two days there last week having a wonderful time.

When I got home, of course, I wanted to have a go in my kiln and type result was this.

Fused beach scene by Marklaird, on Flickr

It's smaller than the pieces that we were making on the course, but I'm pretty chuffed as it was made from odd bits of scrap bullseye glass and not the whole studio that we had for the lessons.

I've added a really small amount of Val Cox Frit to make the waves and the beach and it doesn't appear to have caused any major incompatibility.

Mark

Pat from Canvey

I decided to use up some of my scraps of Bullseye glass by doing another pot melt inside rectangular dams in my ceramic kiln. I only put in one layer of kiln paper this time and this caused me some cracking problems. Being the stubborn person that I am, I decided to re-fuse the pieces, trim the edges and fire polish. This is the result. It's 13.5cm by 13.0 cm,

Lesson learned, overprotect the base rather than economise on fibre paper.

hopejacare

Some new felted pebble fabrics that I am working on.....next job to combine lampwork!

Some more pictures on my blog if you fancy a wee look see. Cheers Claire x

JanieD

Am quite chuffed with this one:

Silver Strat 4 crop by Frecklepie, on Flickr

It's a custom order for a guitar builder in Bristol. I've fallen in love with aluminium all over again.

No time at the torch though :(

Jane

Lakelady

2014-02-19 16.31.41 by TRGA, on Flickr

Now making stained glass projects too! This one was so simple but I really like it  :)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Les

Over the winter, I have had numerous flooding problems in my shedio  :( So, when beads just couldn't be made, I decided to start drawing and painting again. I'm really enjoying having something other than beads to occupy my mind with :)

Here are a few of my drawings and paintings :)

whthare by Mad Cat Glass, on Flickr

line by Mad Cat Glass, on Flickr

hill by Mad Cat Glass, on Flickr

and last but not least ... this photo was taken while I was working on this one :)

hare by Mad Cat Glass, on Flickr

jammie

These are a bit larger than the others at 10"  top to bottom and will go on an easel  :)

classy lady by jeanie- Ceardannan Jewellery, on Flickr

classy lady tag pic by jeanie- Ceardannan Jewellery, on Flickr

bob proulx

I had not made a recycled glass piece in a while and decided it was time to do so. This piece is out of my Rare Earth series in which I only use recycled window glass.
Please help me find a name for this piece.

I must be losing it, did we lose the board where we posted fused items. I posted a new water fountain (Strawberry Fields) and I can tfint it anywhere.
Bob

Nicknack

IMG_0458 by nicknack2014, on Flickr

I was quite pleased with this for a first attempt.  It's a cuff for my daughter, and has (I think) 132 beads in it.  Some are glass (not made by me), and some are semi-precious stones (some bought from a post on here).  There are Amethysts, Rose Quartz, Tiger's Eye, Aventurine, Freshwater Pearls, Black Onyx, Amazonite, Goldstone (yes, I know it's glass :)), Chrysocolla, and Moonstone.   DD is very happy with it.  I didn't plan it, I just started with the large stone in the middle, sewed a few beads around it, and it sort of grew!  It took me days to make, though, it's very fiddly and time consuming - the invisible thread knots for a passtime >:(.

Nick

Moira HFG

I've seen some lovely pendants made with wire and solder frames, and I wanted to have a go. I started with a fragment of china plate.
I sort of like this, even though the soldering is rubbish.
I only had lacquered copper wire, and though I tried to sand and burn it off, the solder didn't stick well. I had to go over re-sanding and fluxing tiny areas at a time. I think I'll get some uncoated wire for my next attempt.
Finally I gave the solder a coat of stained glass black patina, then scrubbed it with a nailbrush and cream cleaner. I should have left it blacker, to disguise the quality of the soldering!! ;)

Ceramic fragment by sleepychamaeleon, on Flickr