Hothead Bulk Propane setup

Started by mazmeabead, December 11, 2008, 08:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazmeabead

In need of a bit of help / advice

Ok so...I bought a nut and a nipple from BOC today to connect hose to Propane setup.. & some leak detection fluid... to check setup for leaks...

In line from the Cylinder = Propane regulator from tuffnells... then 0-5 bar flash back arrestor mad by gas-arc (same make as the regulator).... then a quick release coupling also by gas-arc then the nut/nipple assembly... connected to the hose with a jubilee clip...

Problem is with everything assembled I just cant seem to stop leaks from the brand new nipple/nut attached to the quick release...

Any Ideas?

Is this all necessary for the Hot Head?

IM STUMPED or is that stupid?

Maz
Maz x

Pat from Canvey

Have you tried puting that white, I think it's called PTF tape on the joints. It's what plummers use. sorry Can't be of much help, I bought the whole shebang from Martin so that I didn't have setting up problems.

silverlemon

I was under the impression that Tuffnells Bulk connector set up had everything you needed already made up into a connection for your propane cylinder. So I'm wondering why you need the brand new nut and nipple?

Surely with his setup all you have to do is screw the bulk connector into the hothead? and the propane regulator into the cylinder.?
Or am I missing something here?
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop

mazmeabead

Hi there,

Hi Sarah / its because I was given brand new - unused hose,  gas-arc flashback arrestor & quick coupling from BF's Dads friend when he heard off BF's Dad what I was up too he happily donated them!

This then meant that I only needed a Regulator & a hothead connector & connection for hose end...

Thats why I did'nt by Martins full kit - but now saving myself a bit of money is causing me trouble...!

Hey pat, Ill pick up some PTFE Tape today & give that a try - thanks...

Thanks for the help guys
Maz
Maz x

silverlemon

I'm not sure if it's safe to use PTFE tape with propane....I know you have to be careful with certain gases and the PTFE tape. I'd check this with a reliable source before putting any tape with this.

Excuse me asking a silly question...but...are the 2 screw threads the same on your quick coupling and the nut you're assembling?
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop

Ian Pearson

Hard to work out whats going on here. Photo would help. Shouldnt have to use PTFE tape as thats a short term emergency thing and especially with new couplings. Is the hose firmly on the nipple and secured with a metal clip? such as a jubilee or better still a pinch clip?

Ian

mazmeabead

Hi Ian, Silvermon...

Yes I have a new shiny jubilee clip holding the hose on the nipple...

The leak is coming from both sides of the nut which the nipple pops through.

The hose connection bit sticks through the nut and the domed bit which fits into the gas-arc type connector is on the inside & the nut screws onto the connectors fine but no matter what I do with it it seems to leak!

So its like this at present

1) Propane Bottle (orange) 8kg, then
2) 0-4 bar regulator from tufnells = gas-arc make,
3) 0-5 bar flash back gas-arc make,
4) quick coupling also gas-arc,
5) then the blasted NUT & NIPPLE assembly from BOC...

The nipple/nut assembly leaks if its on the quick coupling & I have undone and re-tightened 3 times and it still leaks, it has'nt crossed threads & there's no damage to the threads....

So I removed the quick coupling from the series and connected the nut/nipple to the flashback arrestor and tightened - still leaked... 

I think I might go over to BOC at Accrington with it all tommorow and get the fella there to look-see - perhaps this nut/nipple thing is faulty/wrong thing to be using?

I think its best to get someone to look at it...

Maz 
Maz x

mazmeabead

Oh - another thing I noticed

Theres ptfe at either side of my regulator around the connectors where they join to the main assembly?

Is this ok?

Maz
Maz x

Ian Pearson

Pressume you are using spanner and hammer/mallet to tighten nut? Sometimes hand tight isnt enough. Sorry if this seems a daft question.

Ian

mazmeabead

Hi Ian,

I go as far as I can by hand - then lock on the adjustable spanner tighten with that and for the extra bit I push it down with my foot instead of my hands and it is usually too hard for me to re-open when I do that I need to get OH to undo for me.... :)

Got to buy a mallet - ours got left behind last time we went camping - when packing up in the pooring rain  :-\

Maz
Maz x

mazmeabead

Done it - with help of OH...

Just the regulator and the flash back arrestor now - no quick release, but it doesnt matter really cos the only time I unhook the torch is to change bottles...

thanks Ian  ;)- it seems a bit of man-power was what I needed!

A bit sad that I could'nt manage it on my own - weak girly me...lol ;D

Thanks everyone :)

Maz
Maz x