Multi-strand neacklace using beadalon - how do you finish it off?

Started by beadmonkey, December 07, 2008, 10:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beadmonkey

Hi

I'm would like to make a multi-strand necklace using beadalon but I'm unsure how to finish it off. Can anybody advise please?

When making a single strand necklace I use a crimp tube with a cable thimble (wire guardian) and cover the crimp with a crimp cover.

I would like to be able to have about 5 strands.

Cheers
Roy :)

Kaz

Hi Roy
You need a largish calotte/charlotte or crimp cover. You then pass the strands of beadalon through and crimp - either separately or all together and hide inside the crimp cover which usually has an opening bit which then attaches to the clasp.
Alternatively you can use a 5 strand clasp for a very nice finish.
Or you can try to pass all 5 through one large crimp (v.difficult - camel though eye of needle comes to mind!)
HTH
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

kevie192

When making a 3-strand necklace I tend to crimp all the wires together and then place them into a folding cord end. I use the sort with the little spike in them and put the crimp inside with one wire one side of the spike and two the other side.

HTH.

Kevin x

mizgeorge

I tend to attach (with crimps) all strands to a single wrapped loop in a piece of wire and cover the whole lot with a narrow cone. I don't trust calottes! Perhaps not very well explained (sorry), but it works and allows you to attach whatever you like beyond the cones - I usually use a fair bit of extender chain as it's more comfortable to have a single strand at the back of the neck than multiples, which can get tangled in hair.

beadmonkey

Thanks peeps!

What is inside the cone to hold the strands please George?  Do you wrap a loop inside and then another outside on the same piece of wire?
(I'm sure I've not asked that question very clearly so I hope you know what I mean and I'm sorry if it sounds thick  ;D).

Had a look at your Surin necklace (where you use caps) on your website and that looks fabulous.

Roy :)

mizgeorge

Exactly Roy! wrap a loop in the end of a bit of wire and attach all the strands to that. Thread the unwrapped end through a cone and then wrap another loop to hold it all in place. Then you can add chain, clasp, thong, whatever you fancy. The cones cover a multitude of sins!

beadmonkey