Questions on Stained Glass

Started by Les, January 23, 2007, 10:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

Hiya folks...

I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a very basic list of tools to get started with either copper foiling or leaded stained glass ??

The beginner kits I have seen for sale so seem so very expensive.... I am on a watertight budget here..... so what's the bare minimum of equipment I'd be needing to get started ???

Thanking you in advance ?????

Les xxxx

♥♥Tan♥♥

In my extensive knowledge Les......................................some glass :P

handmadeheaven.biz

are you just trying to get your number of posts up Tan??! lol! most unhelpful of you :P

Les

You're getting closer Tan............ LOL

Les xx

♥♥Tan♥♥

No I have to disagree......glass is a very useful ingredient when working with um.....glass :P

HedgelandsGlassLas

Here are some very basic tools

No 1 - A good cutter (one of the toyo type) - you can start with the old fashioned one but the wheel won't last long
No2 - 2 pairs of breaking pliers - saves your fingers no end (a little tip) these can be used for grozing as well (there are a few different grades of these so you can economise a bit)
No 3: for smoothing you can use a carborundum stone though it would be pants if your cutting is way out. I do have a grinder but I don't get it out unless I have to. Unless you are studio an entry level grinder is ok - see about getting one second hand if you really have to have one
Soldering iron: I have a weller 100 - there used to be a supplier on Ebay Peter Baker who sold a good iron for around ?25 - 100 watt - the test of a good iron is how well it keeps its heat whilst soldering a line (copper foil work)

For copper foil work - something to cut and smooth the foil to the glass - craft knife and popsickle stick if you want. you can get a little thingy for ?1 (flat fid). Otherwise solder and copper foil tape are it.

Lead work is more involved in a way - lead knife (use the cheaper one - the pro knife is tougher to use and I now use the simple job with some snips, a Lead fid for opening up the channel. Horse shoe nails, a making up board (you can use some mdf or other thickish board for this. Materials used to construct: lead, putty (only necessary if you are needed a watertight seal - but it does look better puttied to me), whiting, solder.

Check out tempsford glass - http://www.tempsfordstainedglass.co.uk/ - they are normally good for basic tools although I know a few other suppliers that are cheaper on individual things.

I've probably scared you witless with the aforegoing rambling shambles (LOL). The soldering iron and the cutter are crucial bits of kit. You can fox around the other things a bit more. Lead work is more restricted in construction than copper foil. there are things glass just won't do and things that lead won't do.

But well worth a go - I've got a basic book The Complete Stained Glass Course - it is a bit dated in that the toyo cutter isn't being used at the time of publication but the principles haven't changed. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Les, if you have a local stained glass shop that carries out the creative side they usually have off cuts that they are happy to sell, these are great for practicing cutting on because some of them are quite textured and make the cutting wheel jump. The leftovers from your offcuts make ok beads too!!

Les

OOOohhhhhh...... thanks Michele.. I'll let you know about the book.... brilliant !!!

Tan... good thinking.. I shall go on a scroungey reccy later this week ;)

♥♥Tan♥♥

Just look pathetic and smile a lot.....it works for me ;D

Les

greenbeadenvy

Oh I'm sorry Les, I completely forgot to send you the beginners list :'(. I have a Toyo cutter somewhere if you would like it. I bought it in a hurry from an online site and didn't realise it was a Toyo one. I used it once and hated it(you know how we get attached to a certain type of tool). I find K-Star the best and nothing else will do(he he he tool snobbery ;D).
Em xx
Emma xx

Les

Oh fab Em... PM me your phone number ??? ...and,  if the wind is blowing from the east, I may remember to ..... WRITE IT DOWN !!! ;D

Had a good poke around your updated stained glass centre site.... O...M... bl**dy.... G !!!!!!!!!!!! That lamp is amazing ... the whole site is looking fab...... I wanna come on a course now....:( ........But I am saving ;)

Les xx

greenbeadenvy

Quote from: Les on January 24, 2007, 05:33:47 PM
Oh fab Em... PM me your phone number ??? ...and,? if the wind is blowing from the east, I may remember to ..... WRITE IT DOWN !!! ;D

Had a good poke around your updated stained glass centre site.... O...M... bl**dy.... G !!!!!!!!!!!! That lamp is amazing ... the whole site is looking fab...... I wanna come on a course now....:( ........But I am saving ;)

Les xx
Its yours Les, now then where the hell did I put it >:(
I shall text it to ya laters.
Emma xx

Les

Oh fab Em !! Thanks !!!

Oh... by the way.. battery is pooped on my mobile, but you can send txt's to my landline if you have that ??

LOL

Les

I also posted in the 'Looking For' bit too....

Does anybody have a second hand 100 w  copper foil soldering iron for sale ??? Or does anyone know of anybody selling one ???

I need to save every penny possible.. I never realised they'd be so damn pricey !!! LOL

Cheers
Les xx