Ice on my gas canister

Started by aoturoa, October 03, 2008, 09:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aoturoa

I was making beads late afternoon and halfway through the second bead I noticed it was taking longer for the glass to melt. I struggled through that bead and a third, then switched off the gas, thinking at first I was running out. When I went to get up, I knocked the bottom of the canister with my hand and realised it was frozen.
I popped the base into a bowl of warm water, but there's no way of doing this whist I'm torching. Is there another way to prevent/cure this problem?

One note - the kitchen was quite cool, what with the turn in the weather. I'm wondering if merely turning the heating up whilst torching would help?

*rowanberry*

A hotwater bottle underneath does the trick - makes the gas go further too :D

editted to say, the frozen thing happens whether its cold or hot outside I found, when I used the HH (not on bulk). The hotwater bottle will also make "cut out" happen less often mid-bead.
Claire

Black Heart Beads

I used to keep a hot water bottle on my knees touching the can.

clasicat

Mapp gas does that Helen it's a flipping pain but thats a good tip about the hot water bottle  ;D
Claire x

*rowanberry*

You know, using the hotwater bottle trick, I got through a whole can of Mapp in one go without any cut-outs!
Its ace...

Your next trick will be trying to find where to dispose of the empty mapp cans...
Claire

tsarvo

Quote from: *rowanberry* on October 03, 2008, 09:32:11 PM
You know, using the hotwater bottle trick, I got through a whole can of Mapp in one go without any cut-outs!
Its ace...

Your next trick will be trying to find where to dispose of the empty mapp cans...

I took them down to the recycling center and they took them! ;D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, whisky in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

*rowanberry*

Quote from: tsarvo on October 04, 2008, 10:18:10 AM
I took them down to the recycling center and they took them! ;D

You are lucky, some don't take gas cannisters. Our local one didn't. My husbands job is in recycling and we were stuck even with his knowledge of where to dispose of them! In law the place that you got them from SHOULD take them back - whether they do is another matter. We ended disposing them in a recycling centre that did take the gas cannisters -  that wasn't a local one to us!
Claire

Blue

aha... this was just the question i was about to ask - I was out in my workshop yesterday, layers of clothing, but you could see your breath, the torch kept cutting out, and there was ice round the canister. Quite a relief really as i thought I'd broken it already lol.

Thanks for all the advice

Krysia@No98

On my second session at the torch I opened all my windows and wrapped myself up in a big fluffy blanket.  When I went to get up I discovered the blanket was stuck to the tin.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Rosenquartz

I also read once (and saw some pictures somewhere) of a class that used HH on MAPP and stood the canister in a pot full of sand - it provided support on the bench and helped somewhat to delay freezing I think. The hot water bottle trick sounds good and will keep you warm too if you plan it right :-)
Rosenquartz