silver cores for 5mm mandrel beads

Started by flowerjasper, September 28, 2008, 09:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flowerjasper

having been reading the bighole bead swapthread i see that the size of core isnt necessarily the size of the mandrel,
i am using a 5mm mandrel what size core should i get?
i know they are cheap and cheerful but the ones from palmers metals are calling but i want to make sure i get the right ones,
help please people!
sandy x

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I bought the 5mm ones from Palmer's for my 5mm mandrel and they fit fine. I've had one fall out so far but will make sure I clean them up properly (as per another thread where acetone was recommended, I think :)) before gluing.

GoodMonkey

Sandy, if you PM me your address I'll pop a couple in the post for you so you can try before you buy  ;D

Ine

Hi everyone, I'm rather new on this forum, and read about Palmer's in this topic, can anyone give me the website adress of this company? I'm looking for the silvercores as well,

thanks in advance,

Inez

Maria Louisa

Inez,
You can get silver cores at www.allbeads4you.nl and www.ayutrade.nl too.
I don't know the Palmer's address.
www.glassbeadsculptress.com
www.glassbeadsculptress.etsy.com
www.beadpress.nl
www.flickr.com/beadpress

flowerjasper

they are great for the beading chain as well  ;)

Flyingcheesetoastie

Okies, I've been asked to make some special silver core beads and am gonna ask an obvious question that's probably on here somewhere else but this looked like a good thread!  Do I make the beady on the mandrel, take it off and glue the rivet/grommet thingy in either side?  Or is there another way of doing it?  I know I'm sposed to know these things but I'm only doing this as a favour for someone who wants a tartan 'pandora' bead...

Ta in advance,

Rachel x

flowerjasper

yep, make the bead on a 5mm mandrel, aneal, clean and stick them in!

Flyingcheesetoastie

Thankd for that, does anyone know if the Palmers grommets/rivets are stamped 925?  If not, does anyone know where you can get stamped silver grommets?

Thanks guys, hopefully pictures to follow once I get the mandrels too!

TiaraHelen

Palmers not stamped, allbeads4you definitely stamped.  Allbeads4you is in holland but the postage is really really cheap and their rivets are about 40p each.  Palmers are cheaper and flimsier. Haven't tried ayutrade cos can't make sense of website...  Can't remember whether Martin's rivets are stamped.
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

turnedlight

kathryn

littlegiggles

just as an observation they arent hallmarked... they are stamped 925. 

To hallmark something you need to send it to an assay office in the UK which stamps initals of the maker, the venue where the metal quality was tested and the year it was tested

Flyingcheesetoastie

Thanks for the info guys, have ordered a little test parcel from Holland!

I know they don't have a maker's mark but I still like my Sterling to be marked 925, its more of a perception thing, hopefully it shows your average bod who picks it up that they're not just getting plate!

mizgeorge

Quote from: Flyingcheesetoastie on November 25, 2008, 09:58:06 AM
Thanks for the info guys, have ordered a little test parcel from Holland!

I know they don't have a maker's mark but I still like my Sterling to be marked 925, its more of a perception thing, hopefully it shows your average bod who picks it up that they're not just getting plate!

I wish it did! There's loads of crap being imported from China at the moment with 925 marks that's no more sterling silver than my fluffy bunny slippers are.

You can buy a 925 punch on ebay for a couple of quid...