Indoors or out in the shed??????

Started by GlassOcean, September 21, 2008, 09:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlassOcean

Hello lovelies,

I need some advice, I moved house 2 months ago and have not touched anything glassy since and I am going stir crazy!!!  Baby is due in 6 and a half weeks and I WANT TO MELT SOME GLASS!!!!!

I have got a small room that would do as a work room but because I have never had gas 'indoors' I am a bit scared!  I could pipe it in through the window I guess.

Anyway, do any of you have your set up indoors?  Or are you all shed dwellers? 

I don't know whether to hold out for a shed or to just have it indoors.

What do you think?

Sarah

Hi Kerensa

I'm in doors now but about to move into my shed. The shed is safer and keeps the mess (well the glassy mess anyway  ::)) out of the house. But indoors is much more convenient. Juts be religious with your safety - which you'd need to do in the shed anyway - and if possible keep your gas outdoors.

Being in doors was only ever meant to be temporary - that was two years ago.

Sarah
xxx

Pat from Canvey

I have my gas indoors on the grounds that some people have gas heaters specifically made for indoor use, those that either don't have or do not want to use their central heating. That said, I usually have a window open for the cats to go in and out as they wish and my ground floor is open plan. I torch in my dining room area so that I am warm even in the dead of winter. When I first set up, I torched in the kitchen.

julieHB

Kerensa, as you so very kindly let me babysit your luuuurvely presses until you can torch again, I definitely think you should wait until you have a shed.....you can come and play any time!! ;D ;D ;D ::) o

Seriously, I think there are several here who has gas indoors. The important thing is good ventilation and to always make sure you turn the gas off at the cylinder (and also make sure little hands cannot go in and open it)... As you know I have mine standing under the desk, and my kids have had clear instructions not to go into my workshop without signed permission. They have been very good (it might be my threat of poking a mandrel through their hands if I found them there unauthorised.. ;D). The best thing is of course to keep it outside, and if you don't have a quick release on your propane pipe, any good gas/plumber shop should be able to put one into your existing set up without too much cost.

Good luck with it!

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

lemon kitten

I'm up in one of my spare rooms, plenty of ventilation and light up there.  Seems to work for me anyway

Janey x
Never stand up in a canoe!

Carol

I work in the porch Kerensa, gas & oxygen bottles outside. Hubby drilled a hole in the wall for the pipes, and I've got a quick release valve on the propane. The mess doesn't really matter as no-one uses that door anyway. My only complaint is that it is freezing in there, but I've got a little fan heater hidden under my workbench to keep my tootsies warm in the cold weather. Get the gas pipe going out the window & a quick release valve on it - it'll be easy to change it when you finally get a shed set up ;)
Carol

garishglobes

I work next to the window in the dining room! Lots of ventilation (have a fan as well) and light plus its warm and I can see what all my monsters are up to (they are old enough NOT to fiddle, luckily). I am  religious about making sure the gas is turned off and even more religious about brushing up afterwards to remove shards of glass from the floor (we're not good at shoes).
I'd love a shed or even my own room, if only because vermiculite and bead presses aren't the ideal table decoration - but there are definite advantages to this set up too. I'm easily got at and can just stop and put a load of washing in then start up again!

Mary

I'm in the conservatory, with the gas coming in through a window. Hubby offered me a summer house, but I like being able to keep my ears open for the kids, especially at night if he is away.

Les

I'm currently upstairs in a corner of my bedroom..... not a great spot... ventilation isn't the best, but hopefully it's only a temporary measure ...

GlassOcean

Thanks you smashing lot!

The room I have available is 12 by 6 so bigger than a shed and it has a lock on the door so the gits can't go in there!  It has got windows all down one side of the room so that should be OK.  ventilation wise I have got a fan thing that needs to be installed (it's on a list of jobs what need doin!!!).

I am just gagging to get in there and make something just in case this baby appears before I get to do my silver clay course on 22/10!!!

I may take you up on your play day Julie, I have got Thursdays with Git 2 at nursery so always can be tempted with a trip to ASDA and then I would be so close it would be rude not to pop in!!!!!

xxxx

julieHB

Quote from: GlassOcean on September 21, 2008, 11:59:43 AM
I may take you up on your play day Julie, I have got Thursdays with Git 2 at nursery so always can be tempted with a trip to ASDA and then I would be so close it would be rude not to pop in!!!!!

Absolutely, Kerensa, and you don't want to be rude, do you??  ;D just give me a text if you are coming and I'll make sure I have plenty of choc biscuits and juice!!  ;D ;D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

ejralph

It is not a good idea to keep gas inside.

Actually, I think with propane it is against the law anyway?

The gas canisters can leak, no matter how tightly you turn them off. And the gas is heavier than air, so it sinks and pools. YOu could theoretically have a whole tank leak out, pool into a layer around your ankles and go BOOM unexpectedly.

I won't even have the gas in my shed! I have the cylinders outside the shed and run a pipe in.

That said, I would love to be indoors myself. I would just be sure to keep the gas outside!

Emma

fionaess

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on September 21, 2008, 10:01:07 AM
I have my gas indoors on the grounds that some people have gas heaters specifically made for indoor use, those that either don't have or do not want to use their central heating. That said, I usually have a window open for the cats to go in and out as they wish and my ground floor is open plan. I torch in my dining room area so that I am warm even in the dead of winter. When I first set up, I torched in the kitchen.

Im exactly like you Pat, indoors, in the massive area outside the kitchen.. Since we cooked on calor for about 3 years many moons ago I have no qualms or problems with it.

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Ian R Pearson

Interesting advice for Calor Gas website below.  I have used propane inside before now but...............
Ian

" If you have, or are thinking of having, a multi-cylinder installation at your property, the following siting guidelines will apply...
 Cylinders must be sited upright against an outside wall on a firm, level base (approximately 1800mm x 460mm x 50mm) in a well-ventilated location. Because LPG is heavier than air, cylinders must not be located in cellars, basements or sunken areas.
 The cylinders must be a minimum of 1 metre horizontally, and 0.3 metres vertically, from doors, windows, ventilation ducts, flue terminals and all potential sources of ignition.
 The cylinders must be a minimum of 2 metres from untrapped drains, unsealed gullies or cellar openings, unless separated by a 250mm high wall.
 The cylinders must be a minimum of 3 metres from any corrosive, toxic or oxidising materials unless separated by a fire resistant barrier.
 Main considerations are the safety of the location and easy access to permit cylinder replacement. Additionally, flammable material (such as grass, sheds and fences) must not be allowed near the gas cylinders / bottles. However, provided that free ventilation is not impaired around the cylinders, a nearby arrangement of flowers, shrubs or slatted screens may be acceptable. "

aoturoa

6 weeks until Baby. Once he's here... well, you're not going to get much chance to pop out to a shed now, are you? lol

My advice is to set up for now in the spare room and look to move out to the shed at around the six month mark when Baby starts getting around. If you still have a HH you don't need to be on bulk...