Pics of new ventilation set-up

Started by Rachel, September 17, 2008, 07:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachel

I thought I'd post pics of my new set-up.  I found it really difficult finding info on what sort of ventilation to use/where to get everything I needed etc so I thought I'd list everything I used here incase anyone else wants to use this kind of thing.

I got an 8" hydroponincs fan (750 m/3), 8" flexible aluminium ducting, a reducer which is 8" one end and 10" the other just to try and catch more fumes (which is the thing connected to the ducting on my desk), back plate to fix the ducting to the wall, and a stand for the fan.

This first pic is of the desk - I'm going to fix some wire mesh to the front of the opening.  The fumes are sucked downwards before they get a chance to get into the airstream.

This is under the desk - the ducting comes down through the desk then out through the wall.

This is outside - dad fixed a cover off an old desk fan to put over the hole.

OK so it's not the prettiest of set-ups but it works brilliantly.

You could fix the ducting overhead if you wanted it to pull upwards.

mad bunny

That looks a good set up Rachel.   ;D

I'm still waiting for DH to sort mine out.  We have bought a cooker hood as it had a better strength fan than the kitchen/bathroom ones.  We then plan to put a screen across as well so it acts like the cabinet set up.  Fingers crossed I won't have to wait too much longer.  :-\
Practice and Patience really does pay off!  Beads actually looking good  Yippee  :o

Paula

That looks excellent.
And very useful information.
I found the task of ventilation most confusing, but your explanation is blummin good.
Paula

Hotglass28

Oh, that looks good.  Your hydroponics fan looks like the one I'm after.  was it ebay by any chance?

From what I have been researching that may be a problem, is the turns/elbows in set ups. The fewer the best so I have heard. It may not be an issue with yours though, I'm no expert!

How good a sucker is it?  Have you done the incense/cigerettte test?

Denise

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Rachel

Denise - yes it was from Ebay.  I can't remember the sellers name off hand but if you search for my id - chocolatecatgirl you should be able to see who it was.  It was £70 plus £10 p&p and it was here next day.  The other stuff I got from a company called Aquaculture Hydroponics - damn good service from them too.

Quote from: Hotglass28 on September 17, 2008, 11:36:21 PM
From what I have been researching that may be a problem, is the turns/elbows in set ups. The fewer the best so I have heard. It may not be an issue with yours though, I'm no expert!

How good a sucker is it?  Have you done the incense/cigerettte test?

Denise

Yes you're right that the fewer twists and turns in your ducting the better.  You have to consider the distance that your ducting has to go too.  As mine didn't have far - only a few feet - it hasn't affected the suction. 

It's a damn good sucker!!  In fact I think it's too good.  It has caused my flame to lose a bit of heat so I may have to adjust it slightly - maybe move my torch back a bit.  You should see the smoke fly down that duct.  Absolutely no fumes at all.  I can hold a smoking match behind the torch and it still takes the smoke away really quickly.  I had to stop a piece of silver foil on my bench going down too!

In that respect I think I could have got away with the 6" fan which would have meant smaller and neater ducting.  If you've got a way to go with the ducting though, the 8" fan would be the best bet I would think.