Can boro be worked on a hot head?

Started by amber0307, September 10, 2008, 08:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amber0307

Running my hothead on bulk - is it possible to work with boro or is the flame produced not hot enough?   ???

grandmabead

I am on a HH too and i have read everywhere that you can't work Boro using a HH but there is a very experienced lady lampworker that i found on LE that has been using nothing but a HH for years and she does use Boro, she makes some amazing beads.............i don't think i would personally bother trying it though, it takes long enough to melt clear glass on a HH so dread to think how long (if ever) it would take me to melt Boro. I can't remember her name at the moment - it's old age, but if i can find out who she is i will let you know, maybe she could give you some advice?
I'm just a newbie so i expect the experts here will give you a better answer amber0307.
;)

Redhotsal

Um........no.
Not unless you had the patience of a saint.

But it begs the question - why on Earth woud you want to?  ???

Caroline

definatly not unless, like Sal said, you have the patience of a saint.

I was loosing the will to live doing it on a minor with one oxycon till i bought another

glassworks

even with patience of a saint.... no.....

just tried on 7mm clear...... on 4mm rod it did eventually melt, but then you could not shape the bead at all, just wind on a disc....

;)

grandmabead

I found the lady who can work Boro on a HH, here's a link to the thread on LE where she posts pics, her user name is adovbs. Lower down the first page she explains about how she made the Boro vessel.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24873&highlight=hothead
Hope this gives you hope!  :)

The whole thread is about what you can do on a HH which is nice as i usually find info on what you can't do LOL. Sarah Hornick and Holly Cooper both love their HH's so i guess its a question of PPP as usual.

Pat from Canvey

If you want to have a try without spending on boro rods, take an old pyrex plate or glass and smash it with a hammer between the pages of a newspaper. Take a small shard and try it in the flame to see how long it takes to melt. If the shard is small, hold it with a pair of pliers.

Billie

Blimey, life is definitely too short to attempt it on a HH hun  :)  I always felt I'd aged a couple of months trying to melt a thick rods of transparent lauscha on my HH before ugrading, but then as my husband will tell you, I'm not the most patient person in the world  :D :D :D