big hole ring mandrel?

Started by bubblefizz, September 06, 2008, 11:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubblefizz

Ive bought the big hole mandrel from martin  ;D
but how the heck do you get the glass on it, it took me absolutley ages to get a reasonable round on it
then i couldnt shape it properly any tips on using this mandrel?

Shirley

I've not used mine yet, but I had similar issues when I started using 5mm mandrels. I found it helped if I scored two lines into the bead release all the way round, just slightly wider than I wanted the glass to be. That way I could keep straighter as i laid the initial footprint.

For shaping I found gravity was a bit of a no go, so I got used to looking at the shape very carefully and adding small dots of glass until I was happy with the shape.

Really should try my ring mandrels, I guess ;D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

TiaraHelen

I'm pretty bad at it, but I found that if you use the full thickness of a (thinnish rod), and don't let it get into a ball, but melt it on bit by bit without stretching it, at least you get a consistent thickness all the way round.  I had trouble with the hothead keeping it hot all the way round though!
Good luck!
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

bubblefizz

Thanks Ladies it is hard work never realised how hard though  :-\

Pat from Canvey

Try using a piece of 18mm stainless steel tube then.   ;D  ;D
I'll post a picture sometime. Forgot I had one.

bubblefizz

how do u do it pat? its so neat  ???

Pat from Canvey

Practice, practice and yes more practice. I've found that my dots get better because I now rest the tip of the mandrel against the torch each time I want to add a dot. If I don't, my hands shake too much.