Silver Foil Going Gold??

Started by Im a glassy babe, July 05, 2008, 10:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Im a glassy babe

Hi, anyone help?

I had an idea for a bead, so made a white barrel, then put silver foil on top, before I got to the next stage, the foil had gone gold  :-\, and turned the white barrel a bit of a yucky browny colour.

What did I do wrong? ???  Haven't used silver foil before, so I've obviously handled it wrongly, but not sure how?

Hamilton Taylor

What did you want to do with it?
It sounds like you put the bead back in the flame after applying the silver. If so, some of the silver evaporated, and recondensed on the white glass and on the metallic silver leaf, turning everything yellowy. If you wanted to encase it, try holding the bead behind the flame, and working your transparent rod through the flame onto the bead. If you were aiming for something else, this will of course not help you very much....
  ::)
Sean

Im a glassy babe

Hi,

Thanks for that, yes I did put back in the flame.  Makes sense.  I understand if I want to encase now, but what about if I want to leave as decoration on the outside of the bead, is this possible?  Do I just roll the bead in the silver foil and leave?

New to all this so still finding my feet. ;D

turnedlight

That looks very nice, if you warm the bead, roll on the silver and gently rub it on using the marver, then warm it to fuse it on.. it may stain some colours, I haven't been able to do this over pink as it goes yellowy, but try it out!
kathryn

Im a glassy babe

Thanks for that!  I'll give it a go.  I presume by warming you mean to put near the flame but not in?! ;D  That's what i did before, and the white barrel I had went yucky yellowy :-\.

thanks will experiment  ;D  doing lots of that at the moment, have a big fugly jar building up!