scummy marks on outside

Started by turnedlight, July 01, 2008, 07:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnedlight

I have been experimenting because I'm fed up with the fact I sometimes get a line right around the centre of a bead which is scummy and ruins the encased beads. It seems to happen if I roll the bead on the marver too much. When I do the same bead and don't use the marver it's usually ok, but it's frustrating because with core beads, they often need rolling into more of a tube shape before plumping them up again so that they have a better profile, but then I get this horrible line.. any thoughts? Does anyone else get this and should I be looking at a brass marver?
kathryn

Billie

Hmmmm.... I use a brass marver - a stumpshaper... Never noticed it happening with that.  Are you rolling the glass while it's molten?

turnedlight

It's after I've made the bead, let it cool a little, and warmed up the outside so I can flatten it a bit..
kathryn

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I get this mark alot but have realised it's because I have too much propane in my neutral flame and it only shows with clear.
Are you sure it's not that?

Billie

Good point.  Is it also with certain colours?  I have to be especially careful when working with light steel grey and light turquoise I find and check my flame :)

turnedlight

It could be - it's not a smoky colour though, which would be soot.. it's whitish.. but I will be careful about that - thanks!
kathryn

Dragonfire Glass

try cleaning the marver - it could be picking up stuff from there  :)

MangoBeads

Quote from: Failariel on July 01, 2008, 08:46:57 PM
try cleaning the marver - it could be picking up stuff from there  :)

I am sure its this - I get exactly this too - you think its clean but all the fine stuff you can't see gets picked up . I always give it a good wipe out each time i use it .

Itleaves a line precisely down the middle dosn't itjustwhere its in contact initially with the marver or whatever you use - I use my lentil press ( for everything ! )

Hope that helps you - your silver cores are beautiful especially the last set . ;D

turnedlight

Thanks! That makes sense, and I've never wiped the marver! I'll take a cloth to it next time :)
kathryn