hot head help please

Started by Magpie, June 22, 2008, 02:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magpie

OK, I got hubby to get an old table out of the loft, found brackets, cable ties etc, attached hothead to MAPP cylinder, attached to bench, got glass, mashers, rod rest etc out and find I CAN'T LIGHT MY HOT HEAD!

The flame seems to blow itself out. If I shut off the holes at the bottom with fingers it lights, but as soon as I move my hand it blows out. Not a blast of wind coming in the door/window, it seems to be the force of the gas coming out which does it.
Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Helen

ejralph

It's ages since I lit a hot head but I think you have to only turn the gas knob a little way, light it and then turn the flame up as desired.

Hopefully someone else with better memory or who is using a HH will come along with better details though.

Emma

Billie

Yep, have the gas turned on low to begin with otherwise the flame will just blow out (or blow the match out).

Magpie

Thanks, got it lit, been playing, got several beads, one decent bead!

turnedlight

I had tons of probs lighting mine for the first time, in the end I learnt to turn it on higher, and bring the lighter up under the edge of the torch. Look forward to seeing your beads!
kathryn

Lush!

Cover the holes round the base of the hothead (with your hand, or make a foil collar and use that).  Uncover when lit.

Works every time  ;)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Trudi

What are you using to light it - I always used one of those refillable lighthers with a long nose on them - get them in Wilkinsons!

Billie

Yep, that's what I switched to after going through half a box of matches on evening trying to get the bl**dy thing lit  :D :D :D :D  Just make sure it's off your work area once you've lit your torch.

TiaraHelen

Quote from: Magpie on June 22, 2008, 05:05:00 PM
one decent bead!

... is a very good start for your first session.  Don't throw any away - they make great mulch (!)

Talking of lighting your torch, I saw a good little gizmo in fritenglas which seems to light with a flint only (has anyone tried it?)
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

dinah46

I couldn't use matches or the flinty striker type thingy (sorry if I'm getting too technical for some :D)
I ended up going to Maplins for a nice metal cased lighter
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45909&DOY=25m6

Mines a groovy silver case and it's excellent

edited to put the correct link in  :)

Mary

I've got a flint sparker, but I don't always get a spark first time. I prefer my kitchen piezo spark lighter!

turnedlight

kathryn

Mand

I had exactly the same problem lghting my HH first time, I was so excited to have it all set up and it was really frustrating but luckily the FH gals came to the rescue. Isn't it a shame that they don't tell you about making the little foil collar in the HH instructions?!

I also got the BBQ lighter thingie from Maplins (well DH did) and it's a brilliant gadget.

Magpie

thanks for all your help, i've got it going well now, haven't been up here on computer much, been downstairs playing with glass! will post pics when i've cleaned out the holes.

I had a long automatic lighter thingy that I was using, read on if you want a giggle. when i went back down it decided to give up the ghost, didn't want to work again. OK where's the matches, take kitchen apart looking for matches, cannot find, blast. OK what else can we use. found candles. light candle from the gas hob, walk it into the front room. it will fall over and set the house of fire. OK, stick it to the table with wax, get another candle, light that one off the first one and use it to light the hot head. works fine. Next day, say to hubbie, where are the matches? In the wood basket next to the wood burning stove in the dining room! (OK, we've only had that 6 months that's why i forgot about it!)

Mand

When do we get to see your creations then? Do show.  :)