Does adding silver wire make beads more likely to crack?

Started by TiaraHelen, June 16, 2008, 09:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane

QuoteI'll just put them straight in the kiln-I-haven't-got-the money-or-room-for then!

Sorry Helen - didn't mean to sound facetious (that's a big word for me) I obviously didn't read your post properly -too carried away by what I meant to say. I have heard that the warm vermiculite system works better though !  Good luck
Diane x

TiaraHelen

Diane - did I sound bitter about my kiln-less-ness???? :) :) :)

I'm sorry if I did, because I didn't think you sounded facetious atall, I was just being my usual dry humoured self.  Must remember people can't see me smiling when I write this stuff...

Truth is, I'm finding all the info I'm getting from FHF so incredibly helpful I'd hate to put anyone off by seeming like I was taking offence or giving it.  I'm also lucky enough to have a friend along the road with a kiln who is prepared to batch anneal my beads, which really is the best of both worlds.  I'm off to ASDA now to get a nice little slow cooker (thank you Kaz, BeadMonkey & Pat) for my vermiculite and I'll let you know what happens.

Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

Kaz

Pure silver wire available at Howaco (remembered where I got my last lot from) and much cheaper than here - if you keep below the customs threshold.
http://www.howacoglasssupplycompany.com/metal_wire.html
(I checked similar on ebay £1.50 for 3 feet and this is $1.80 for 6 feet)
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Diane

That's a lot cheaper than I've managed to find Kaz - thanks.

Helen -quote]Diane - did I sound bitter about my kiln-less-ness?   

I'm sorry if I did, because I didn't think you sounded facetious atall, I was just being my usual dry humoured self.  Must remember people can't see me smiling when I write this stuff...
[/quote]
Don't worry lass - no offence meant and certainly non taken.  It's a good job my monitor can't speak because it would tell me not to be so rude - wouldn't like to tell you the names I've called it. By the way,  I tried my small slow cooker from Asda that I'm going to use for a pickle pot to anneal a few beads last week and had limited success. The plainer beads were fine but because I do a lot of twisting and twirling on my bigger beads they cracked. So I have learned that I can do my accent beads in the vermiculite but not my large focals. Now if I feel like beading for an hour - instead of just pulling stringers I can do a few beads and anneal later.

Diane x

Kaz

Don't look at the other stuff though - like the Effetre colours we don't get.....or the bundles of stringers......or the silver foil......or the tools!!!
Diane - if you do decide to do a larger order, let me know as I would add some stuff and we can share shipping/customs costs!
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Fired Silver

Quote from: Kaz on June 23, 2008, 08:01:57 AM
Pure silver wire available at Howaco (remembered where I got my last lot from) and much cheaper than here - if you keep below the customs threshold.
http://www.howacoglasssupplycompany.com/metal_wire.html
(I checked similar on ebay £1.50 for 3 feet and this is $1.80 for 6 feet)
Kaz

Kaz, have you tried wires.co.uk, that's where I buy my wire from and I seem to think they were pretty cheap for fine silver wire.

Rebecca

Kaz

Thanks Rebecca - Howacos is actually cheaper for the same item plus you can order other glassy stuff from there so it makes sense!#
Some interesting stuff on the wires website though...........
Kaz

Fired Silver

I wasn't sure how it compared - I'm not very good with my feet to metres conversion!!! Plus if you can order glassy goodies then even better!!

Rebecca

DragonflyLynne

After chatting with Kaz this morning, I have ordered some .3 mm fine silver wire this morning, and it will be up on my site next week. I'm going to package it in 10 feet lengths but if you have any other preferences please let me know.  ;D

for chain maille supplies, kits & workshops, bespoke headpins, earwires and more! Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crispy and taste good with ketchup! Dragonfly (Lynne)