Does adding silver wire make beads more likely to crack?

Started by TiaraHelen, June 16, 2008, 09:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiaraHelen

I love love love silver wire on beads, and have been winding/stroking/dotting it on all over the place recently and have had a lot of beads crack.  It suddenly occured to me these two things could be related? 

I don't have a kiln and have been cooling in vermiculite with very few mishaps, but suddenly all my nice bigger beads are cracking when I clean them.  Has anyone else had this trouble?
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

Shirley

It could well be the silver to blame. Make sure you keep it on the surface, not encased or submerged and you should be ok, I think.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Im a glassy babe

Hi,

New to forum, so hello.

Going to be a pain because rather than answer your question, have a related one for you.  The silver that you use on your designs, is it ordinary sterling silver jewellery wire?

I'm quite fascinated with these appearances, but haven't attemped any yet, as wasn't sure of the correct wire to use.

Thanks

Vicki

Kaz

No you have to buy pure silver wire rather than sterling - do a search on ebay and you should find some - you can use the finer guage - say 28 or 26 and it will be OK.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Mary

I think any inclusion stresses glass, so I'd say that is your reason. Maybe try less in one bead? Or finer gauge?

Im a glassy babe

MangoBeads

..... if encasing I now only use Precision Diamond 104 with any silver as i had alotof cracking - this wont help if its surface glass tho' :-\

TiaraHelen

Thank you all, this is very helpful.

It is .4mm fine silver, and I have had the problem using it as surface decs and as inclusions. 

I'm going to try rolling the glass in silver "frit" rather than winding it on, maybe that will create less shock, and maybe not quite so enthusiastic with the amount.  And definitely not on beads I've already spent ages on colouring and shaping!  Next time I order something silver I'll try .3 as well.
Helen x

Pat from Canvey

It may be that you're making slightly larger beads when using silver. The larger the bead, the more likely it is to crack when using vermiculite. You do mention "nice bigger beads". Try a few bits of silver on a small bead and see if that cracks when cleaning. You may also be letting the bead cool down too much before putting it in the vermiculite. This results in a bead splitting nearly in half.

Diane

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on June 17, 2008, 09:17:43 AM
It may be that you're making slightly larger beads when using silver. The larger the bead, the more likely it is to crack when using vermiculite. You do mention "nice bigger beads". Try a few bits of silver on a small bead and see if that cracks when cleaning. You may also be letting the bead cool down too much before putting it in the vermiculite. This results in a bead splitting nearly in half.

Exactly what Pat and the other ladies have said.  Using vermiculite is Ok for smaller beads but I think when you start making larger beads you need to put them into your kiln.  I have never used vermiculite but have been using quite a bit of 99.9 silver wire on beads lately and not had them (fingers crossed) crack and some of them have been BIG.  I use the finest gauge pure silver wire that Palmers Metals sell (think its 0.3mm)
it's the top one on this link page
http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/Wire/SilverWire/FineSilverWire/default.aspx

Diane x

Pat from Canvey

Oh a laydee am I. I look more like Matt Lucas than David Walliams though.

TiaraHelen

I'll just put them straight in the kiln-I-haven't-got-the money-or-room-for then!

Seriously, I think you're onto something with the size as well.  They are bigger than I have made before and I have also been flattenign them, which must create extra stress too.  They have been going straight into the (cold) vermiculite but then cracking right down the middle.  I am going to invest in the cheapest slow cooker I can find because I definitely can't have a kiln (sob) until I've earned it, I guess that might improve their chances.

I have had a few small beads crack too, but fewer than the bigger ones.
Helen x

beadmonkey

TiaraHelen

Helen x

Kaz

I do make large beads using vermiculite in a slow cooker (set on low) as I much prefer to batch anneal. I have only had a few crack and that's usually when Lauscha clear decides it doesn't want to be compatible with something underneath!
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!