What Copper?????

Started by Helene, January 15, 2007, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helene

Hi all...just wondering.... i want to use copper wire in fusing (between the glass), is there a special one to use, and what sizes too...thanks in advance x

Caroline

hiya, i use the same copper wire for fusing as i use to make jewellery, i've even used copper sheet and cut out shapes to put between layers of glass

and copper thats been hammered flat looks quite good too

littlegiggles

If I'm right copper is copper, the thicker the copper the more chance of air bubbles and if too much air gets in the copper can tunr black rather than a nice colour, so I guess I'd recommend copper foil but it depends on the look you're going for

Helene

thanks guys....so normal common electrical copper wire would be ok too?

Caroline

i think so, try it on some scrape glass and see how it comes out, i wasn't sure but just used it anyway and it came out good

Helene

handmadeheaven.biz

shadow0000

Quote from: Helene on January 15, 2007, 04:05:20 PM
Hi all...just wondering.... i want to use copper wire in fusing (between the glass), is there a special one to use, and what sizes too...thanks in advance x
You are finding copper wire that you may be use in wiring in fuse.. Well just search in the internet or try to look in copper manufacturer i think they had a special copper that you will be use in wire in fusing... Just try it...

Steampunkglass

Not sure about fusing, but I am using a lot of copper wire, mesh and foil in lampwork at the moment. I find that most electrical wire is ok, so long as it's not enammelled (leave it out for a couple of days and if it doesn't tarnish you'll have to wirewool off the enamel coating-most craft shop stuff is enammeled)

What I do find is if it's very fine wire/mesh and you use a lot of heat it will flare and boil, and then scum ontop of the glass, however if you are encasing it inside glass by fusing I guess this probably won't be such a problem, with me I am moving alot of glass around and 'stiring the pot' which is probably why I get some ending up on the surface.