Bead cleaning tool

Started by Mand, June 07, 2008, 05:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mand

Hi
What would you guys recommend for a fairly low effort bead cleaning tool? I can't afford a Dremel! - But I would like something which is NOT just a "pokey hand held ye olde fashioned use brute force device"!

Also, if I got a little tool thing - an engraving pen sort of thing? Am clutching at straws here.... would I be able to use it to gently grind down some wonky or sharp hole edges on my beads? (I've seen a link about using water which was helpful, but I realy need to know which tool to get that won't cost lots)  :)

Kaz

The one from Martin at Tuffnel's - £27.50 and you can't go wrong.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

catriona

thats the one i use and its great.
xxcatxx

Mary

I got a cheapy rotary tool off eBay, complete with flex shaft so I'm not mixing electrics and water. Add a set of diamond burrs, and I was set. And yes, you can grind down burrs, but do it in water so you're not creating dust or overheating your bit.

This one comes with a flex shaft. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/102Pc-Set-9-6V-Rotary-Hobby-Tool-Silverline-633883_W0QQitemZ130194682628QQihZ003QQcategoryZ632QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

lorrainelee

Hi
Although this is a "ye olde hand held"'ish sort of item, I got one to try and it's (a) cheap, (b) easy to use, (c) lets me take off any sharpish bits round the holes and (d) cheap, even with postage to the Uk it was less than £8.  My other half thought it was useful and bought a set just for his toolbox.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15-Diamond-Coated-Bead-Reamers-Handle-Beading-Tools_W0QQitemZ380027521298
They ship quickly and I've never had any problems with any tools I've bought from them.
Regards
Lorraine

Amber

I think Woolworths do their own version of a Dremel, which costs about 10 quid or something stupid... ;D

Mand

OOooh yes! Now you mention it, I think I was eyeing up a mini tool kit for husband for Father's Day which had a drill-ish fandango thingamajig in. (Tools of the handyman kind fill me with dread .... scary stuff. Can just about use a hammer and pliers, that's it! Tools (all round) are men's stuff as far as I'm concerned!  ;)