Grinding

Started by Fired Silver, May 29, 2008, 09:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fired Silver

Hi everyone

I don't have one of those fab grinding machines for my fused glass.  I do have a dremel and was wondering if any of you use a dremel to shape your fused pieces and if so, does it work ok and what attachments do you use

Thanks

Rebecca

julieHB

It is fully possible to use a dremel to shape fused glass, all you need is diamond coated drill bits.  Just remember you do need to watercool these, otherwise they will "die" very quickly. Also you can build up heat in the glass which may crack and there will be fine glass dust in the air... so, watercooling crucial.

One way is if you have some method of holding the dremel so you have both hands free, you can then hold a wet sponge behind the drillbit.  Another way is to keep the cab under water (as I do when drilling holes).  And please remember electrics and water don't mix very well, so be careful... :)

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Fired Silver

Hi Julie

Thanks for the info.  Do you mean a bit like this

http://www.dremel-direct.com/acatalog/7123_4_8_mm_Diamond_Wheel_Point.html

It also might be time to get a flextshaft too!  Have wanted one for my silver work for ages, but I think it might also be safer with water!!

Rebecca

julieHB

Hi Rebecca,

yes, something like that....like in your link, I mean!

If you go to www.inland.co.uk and email them for a brochure, they have loads of stuff.  They don't sell online, but will send you a brochure and price list very quickly.  If you are not after bits for drilling holes, just for shaping, don't buy the diamond core bits, they are much more expensive.

Totally agree, a flexshaft is a lot safer with water!!

I have made funny-shaped holes in thick bottles with a dremel.  I suggest that you "invest" in the flex shaft, an old ice cream tub, and some old pieces of tile to put your cab on at the bottom of the tub.  I pour just enough water in the tub so it covers the cab by a couple of mm.  If you glue a few pieces of tile with some space between them to the bottom of the tub you are free to drill and shape, and it is easy to keep it in place with your free hand, pushing it down against the tiles.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Pat from Canvey

Also have a look at
http://www.retro-glass.co.uk/tools_retroglass-mit-cover.pdf  for grinders and the bottom of page 15 for Diapads. The pads are used  if you want to remove only small burrs from the edges of fused glass. Retro Glass are in Alloa.
I have  a Kristall grinder bought because hubby didn't notice that  I had been using an Inland grinder before going out and left it on top of the hob in the kitchen. He wanted to heat some soup so turned the burner on under the grinder by mistake and went back to the lounge. He only went back to the kitchen when he smelled smoke. I came home to find all the windows open, hubby in a state of panic and eldest child, a teenage daughter being sensible and clearing up the mess with the help of her younger siblings. Such is life. We laugh about it now because the only damage was to the grinder. The plastic casing had melted.

Fired Silver

Thanks Pat, but what are you trying to do to me???  I haven't seen that company before and they've got some fab stuff - I don't have any money!!!  In my head I've just spent a small fortune!!

I'd really like to get a big girls grinder!  Unfortunately lack of space and cash means I've got to stick with the dremel for now!

Thanks again

Rebecca

Zeldazog

Oh, nooooo, Pat, not another supplier that I can drool over and spend my money on..... but what are their prices like, I can't see a price list anywhere?

Fired Silver

I know Dawn!!  I didn't look to try and find the prices as I thought it best if I didn't know!!  They're saved in my favourites though!!

I'm really tempted by the attachment that will let me attach the drill bits to my dremel to drill great big holes!!  Not looking, not looking, not looking  ;D