Confused re Hothead on bulk

Started by beadmonkey, May 14, 2008, 02:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beadmonkey

I am getting a Hothead and wish to run it on bulk. I have looked at the various posts re doing this and read various things besides on it. Result is I am confused!!!! ??? ??? ???

I get the impression that everybody(?) runs their hothead bulk using Propane. However Cindy Jenkins (Making Glass Beads) says to use Brazing Fuel (which is modified propane) as it burns hotter and cleaner than straight propane and will result in brighter colours with the glass. Is this correct? Does anybody using Brazing Fuel? Is it easy to obtain?

Next confusion - re Flashback Arrestor. I have read in numerous places that one should definitely use a Flashback Arrestor. Yet there is a thread on here saying one doesn't need to with Hothead and in fact one can't connect one to a Hothead. But Tuffnell's Bulk Fuel Hothead Connector Kit includes a Flashback Arrestor!! ???

Help!! Please!!!

Billie

Personally, I had the kit from Martin which included a flashback arrestor.  When I upgraded to a dual fuel torch I was able to transfer this kit over. 

Re: brazing fuel - can you get it in the UK and how do costs compare to propane?  Try Googling Brazing Fuel UK and see if you can find suppliers in the UK perhaps...?  As for keeping the glass colours true with propane, you need to ensure you aren't working the glass too low down in the flame otherwise you'll get dirty streak in your glass.

crystalfairy

mapp gas is most common for a HH and can be got for around £10 a bottle from BnQ or plumbing suppliers but not homebase....but it runs out in around 4 hours so i would say bulk is more reliable for the cost and the bottle not running out
although im not on bulk as yet i am planning on getting the kit from martin as he obv knows whats needed and like billie said it can be transfered when you upgrade

HTH

June

I don't think you can get bulk brazing fuel over here.  I did do some searches when I first started out, but didn't come up with much, only the small cans of MAPP.  Flashback arrestors do fit on the propane ok.  I got Martin's kit, too, and I also got a quick release connector so the hose could be taken apart really easily as I had my HH in the kitchen but the propane outside the window.  Shouldn't be a problem if you work in a shed/garage, though and you don't need to disconnect the hose at all.

turnedlight

I got the bulk fuel kit from Martin. It has all you need on it, you just have to go down to the garden centre or wherever and buy propane (orange can) not patio gas or anything else.. and it's so much better than Mapp.
kathryn

♥♥Tan♥♥

I phoned loads of gas suppliers when I was starting out and they all laughed me off the phone telling me brazing fuel didn't exist, I didn't bother with bulk propane because at the time I believed it led to dirty beads, it does if you work too low in the flame but you can get away with it with no problems.

As Billie said, go for a kit like the one martin sells, odds are you will want to upgrade and the kit will move across with you

Mary

There is an expert on LE who states that it is impossible to run a HH with a regulator and flashback arrestor. But since he believes that it is so unsafe to use on bulk, and since there are so many people running them fine on Martin's setup, he has obviously never tried!

Shirley

Mary, you forgot the ' marks around the word 'expert' ;D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Mary

;D Though he is good on setting up bigger torches and kilns and things.

Shirley

So not the humble little hothead then? ;)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Redhotsal

The Brazing fuel referred to in Cindy Jenkin's book is Mapp gas. I believe in the US it is freely available in larger cylinders as they use it for brazing and welding. We cannot get Mapp in bulk cylinders in this country, we tend to use oxyacetylene for welding, and this is why the little yellow Mapp canisters are always imported either from the US or Germany.

The Hothead was indeed designed to run off Mapp but will happily operate on propane. Your colours will be just as good even though the propane burns cooler than Mapp. However you will have to go a little slower and cooler than with Mapp to make best use of the Venturi on the hothead (the holed bit that sucks in the air). Most hothead users will tell you that they don't notice the difference between propane and Mapp after a day or so.

You technically don't need a regulator or flashback arrestor. I can testify that it works without these but you are strongly advised to fit these as a safety issue. You can of course transfer your 0-4 bar regulator and flashback arrestor over to a bigger torch so it is an investment to get these. You're only saving about £50 by not having them. Although £50 is quite a bit of dough it is peanuts in the great scheme of things and you will undoubtably be safer having them in your gas line.

beadmonkey

Thanks very much for replies everyone.

Now I understand :)

God this Lampworking is not straightforward is it ;D

Cheers
Roy

fionaess

I set up my own bulk propane hothead system, I bought all the parts separately, hot head connector from Martin and the rest from various places - from memory the entire set up including flash back arrestor and 4 bar regulator cost me about £50.  I posted the details on FH, maybe you could do a search, it did save me a lot of money, which I spent on glass  ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

beadmonkey

Thanks for that; I found the thread.

I have included link to it in case anybody else is interested

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4763.msg86165#msg86165

Cheers
Roy

Mand

Roy,

I went through exactly the same thought process as you. I tried a couple of folks propane set ups frst, but really couldn't afford the oxycon machines, or the BOC oxygen tanks. I went for Martin's set up of HH on bulk propane - (screw fitting) from our local camping store, and flashback arrestor with quick release hose. It's working really well for me as a beginner. Working higher in the flame does help with not getting muddy colours. Pink and clear are teh most difficult ones I have found.

Good luck!