Fusing Dichro with a blowtorch

Started by Fired Silver, May 13, 2008, 08:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fired Silver

When I was teaching a PMC class a couple of weeks ago one of the ladies had a pot of dichroic glass (unfused shards) which she'd got from a metal clay  supplier a number of years ago.  She was told that she could fire it into place and asked me about it.  I told her that glass had to be kiln fired to ensure that it was correctly annealed etc.  I offered to fuse the pieces for her so that she could then set them into metal clay.  I'm just looking at the leaflet that she got with the glass and there is a section which is, instructions on firing the dichro in the silver using a blowtorch?

Is this right?  Is it safe?

The instructions say

"Dichroic glass is much more heat tolerant than normal glass and this is because it is made of layers that were originally bonded together at very high temperature, making it much more versatile to use. Therefore, unlike other types of glass it can take direct heat, be heated up very quickly and also cooled down very quickly without too many adverse effects".

They go on to explain how to fire it, but basically says to keep the direct heat off the glass as much as possible and concentrate on the silver.  Then once fired, says it takes about 15 mins to cool down.

Anyone think this is ok to do???

Rebecca

ebj

Hi. Very interesting - I was taught that pretty much the only stones or glass that will stand the torch firing (apart from possibly your grade AAA diamonds) are CZ's and even then only up to 5mm in size. I cant see how you can properly fire a piece with a torch and keep the torch off the glass on on the silver - the stone will be presumably somehow embedded into the silver in the design of the piece. I personally wouldnt try it. I have tiny little dichroic stones and even they would go in a kiln if I used them in a piece.     

But hey - I am not a Dichroic glass expert. Maybe I should torch fire a baby one tomorrow and see what happens. Was the metal clay supplier UK based?

Edited to say - I have just done a google search and have found that apparently you can torch fire this type of glass. All of the web sites and suppliers that say you can basically say exactly the same as what you have typed. I still PERSONALLY wouldnt do it though.  But then I have a kiln :) 
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com

Fired Silver

Emma, it's interesting isn't it!!  As I fuse glass cabs, I nearly had a heart attack when this lady told me about torch firing!! 

The insructions also say that some of the edges (of the glass) may start to round off during firing.  I'm not sure how attractive it would look if they didn't round off!!  A bit like a shard of glass shoved into some silver  ;D ;D

I'd be concerned about the strength of the glass, and also like you said how well fired the clay would be.

It was a UK supplier, but they aren't around any more.

I'm still going to make them into cabs for her.  Just wanted to get some feedback as to how reliable this instruction sheet was!!!

Rebecca

ebj

I just feel that really correctly firing a piece can be hard enough with out a big dichro cab set into it!! It could melt, change colour etc. I am of the opinion that even if something is "possible" it dosent mean  recommended lol! Maybe I am just an old bore :D x
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com