Finger rings on ring mandrels

Started by TiaraHelen, May 05, 2008, 10:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiaraHelen

Has anyone tried making finger rings using the big ring mandrels?

I love the idea, really fun to wear and trendy.  I was hoping to take advantage of not being able to make a perfectly round bead by deliberately making lopsided ones!

So... what kind of glass, does it need special cooling/annealing treatment/how breakable are they/what mandrels are best etc etc etc  Really hoping someone has been down this route before!

Sorry if this has been asked on the forum before, I haven't managed to find anything conclusive.

Helen
xxx
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

Billie

Lorna (Pixiewillow) makes some stunning rings.  I'm assuming she uses a ring mandrel.  My FIL has some ring mandrels downstairs, I've noticed, but haven't been brave enough to give them a try yet  :D

Mary

They are a pest to get off the mandrel! And difficult to lay down a nice footprint. Oh, and near impossible to get the right size, lol! I have two sizes of mandrels and never made one I can wear. Try Tuffnells for mandrels.

Carol

Quote from: Mary on May 05, 2008, 11:12:58 AM
They are a pest to get off the mandrel! And difficult to lay down a nice footprint. Oh, and near impossible to get the right size, lol! I have two sizes of mandrels and never made one I can wear. Try Tuffnells for mandrels.
I'll go along with what Mary said - the smallest size that Martin has is the only one that produced a decent size for me to wear on my ring finger (think I'm around a size N?), the bigger ones were massive (unless you're into thumb rings). Other thing is getting the bead release out cleanly - that's a real b****r :(
Carol

Billie

Quote from: Mary on May 05, 2008, 11:12:58 AM
And difficult to lay down a nice footprint.

That's what has been putting me off  :D :D :D

Pat from Canvey

Billie, I've found that I get a better footprint if I draw a line in the bead release making sure the ends meet up. Then lay the glass to one side of the line to get an even footprint that lines up. I buy oddments of camping poles from the local large camping store, cut them to mandrel length with a tube cutter and make glass rings on them. That way I get a ring that fits one of my fingers. I can make them as narrow or as wide as I want. I think the largest one I've made had an inner diameter of about 1 inch.
I've found the picture now,
Modified to add picture

Billie

I must get into the habit of keeping a pencil by my torch so I can mark lines on the mandrels  :)  Thanks for the tip  :-*

flaming beads

I'm glad it's not just me then!!!...i've had to smash a few off, because they got stuck!...only actually have 2 that look ok...and they're not great!! ::)