Kiln for beads, PMC & fusing

Started by amber0307, April 28, 2008, 02:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amber0307

I'm saving for a kiln, can anyone recommend the best one for my needs?

I'm thinking the Paragon SC2 with bead door - it will be used mainly for lampwork, and for small scale fusing (bowls and coasters/tiles) plus some PMC work.  Really want something that's fine for all these things as I don't want to have to upgrade!

glassworks

for very similar money you could also look at the caldera, which is a flat kiln which can be added to later with bead collar.. this lets you have a very large area, and then add the bead collar for lamp working..

the sc2 is obviously very popular, and the sc3 is simply a bigger version, for a bit more money.. there are huge fans of both the caldera and the sc range on here, we have them all setup for testing if you can spare a weekend away in Belgium!...  ;D ;)

Billie

Quote from: amber0307 on April 28, 2008, 02:28:50 PM
it will be used mainly for lampwork, and for small scale fusing (bowls and coasters/tiles) plus some PMC work.  Really want something that's fine for all these things as I don't want to have to upgrade!

I got the caldera for all the reasons you've noted  ;D ;D 

amber0307

Quote from: glassworks on April 28, 2008, 02:33:34 PM
for very similar money you could also look at the caldera, which is a flat kiln which can be added to later with bead collar.. this lets you have a very large area, and then add the bead collar for lamp working..

the sc2 is obviously very popular, and the sc3 is simply a bigger version, for a bit more money.. there are huge fans of both the caldera and the sc range on here, we have them all setup for testing if you can spare a weekend away in Belgium!...  ;D ;)

Is the kiln top loading?  How does the bead collar work? :)
Also wondered if you would ever recommend purchasing a second hand kiln, or would you recommend saving up to buy one new? :)

THanks!

Lee - Kilncare

There is nothing wrong with second hand kilns, just treat them like second hand cars......there are good and bad unfortunately.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

glassworks

the caldera has a flat base, onto which you put the whole "kiln" part itself... this lets you "build" your fused object nice and flat, and then lower the kiln down over the top.. the bead collar is a strip that sits on the base, in which is a bead door...

and then, to top it all (no pun) the top can also flip up while the rest is set up so you can also top load.. all the european spec ones are full 240v and they have a safety sensor which cuts the juice when you open the lid..

i can post pics if you like?.. just pm me..

amber0307

Quote from: Lee - Kilncare on April 29, 2008, 09:33:47 AM
There is nothing wrong with second hand kilns, just treat them like second hand cars......there are good and bad unfortunately.
Is there anywhere you would recommend that sells good quality reasonably priced second hand kilns?

glassworks

maybe lee has some?.. we keep telling people how well kilns hang on to their value second hand - partly cause we find so few people who want to sell theirs, even when they "upgrade"!!!!..

;D ;D ;D

Lee - Kilncare

We used to do a roaring trade in them Quint but as we have grown and got busier on new models we have had to ditch the second hand side of things.

We do get the odd one but we have nothing now.

As you rightly say, second hand kilns, certainly plug in versions, do hold there price well as not too many people feel they can make the break from their "old friend".

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732