Artista Frit fusing temps PLEASE HELP!!!

Started by bigmac, April 25, 2008, 06:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmac

Could anybody  tell me the temp to fuse for Artista frit? For full fuse and tack fuse, does the full fuse look like it's melted? and the tack fuse look like glass with a lot of texture?
ALSO does different colour frit  fuse at diff temps.( I only use Artista) And sorry to be a pain but do I have to set my kiln to increase the temp at different stages and then cool down at diff stages? ( I have a flat bed kiln and I'm VERY new to working with glass) sorry for all the questions.
I have fused some frit and it came out very crumbly not clear and has what looked like  tons of wash on the back,I also have replaced the boards in the kiln. I fused small thin shapes as a tester and I don't know what I've done wrong!! I nearly cried when they disintegrated in my hand even though it was a tester!!!:o thanks

Zeldazog

kiln wash stuck to the back is usually a sign that you have fired too high.

I don't know about Artista, I didn't know they did a range of fusing glass.  Isn't there any firing schedules for Artista anywhere?

Will bullseye fusing glasses, although yes, diffrent colours *soften* at different times, fusing is all done at same temperature range.  So, for example, black is softer glass than white, so a small square of black on a bigger white will sit on top, where as a small white on a bigger black will sink right in and the surface will be level (at full fuse that is)

Full fuse, you're right, glass has rounded off, tack fuse, the glass is still squared off (with sheet glass anyway) and does literally look like it has been tacked together.  These things don't happen at absolute points, there is a range within which action will happen.

Don't forget, glass likes to be 6mm thick - so if you're only firing a small amount of frit, it will all try and pull into itself - as for why it was crumbly

I don't know anything about Artista, thoug, perhaps someone else will know more?

dinah46

Artista is a slightly stiffer glass than bullseye so will 'move' slower when firing.

I use a program that's closer to a float firing schedule for Artista but can also fire it with bullseye as I find that they can be compatible.

If you are just firing frit rather than sheets of glass you will find it hard to get a clear fuse as it always tends to trap bubbles with frit - depending on the size of the frit.

For lots and lots of information on fusing try www.warmglass.com as there is mega information on the bulletin board there.

Here's a lattice plate I did a few years ago in Artista

(help - can't get it the right size ???)

bigmac

Oh!!!!! sorry I meant to say Artisa Med frit......... durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!I'd got 5 kids here (friends after school not all mine thank god! )whilst posting the thread sorry....... goodness me you all do some amazing stuff.

dawn

I don't know anything about Artisa glass, I did use it on the course I went on.  I use Spectrum 96 as my other half bought me a fusing pack for Christmas but I must admit I am being pulled towards Bullseye as they have fantastic colours and dicho glass.

As for the glass having a thick layer of white on the back are you using kiln wash for fibre paper.   As a newbie myself I have tried both and prefer the fibre paper it gives a much smoother surface to the back and is much easier to wash off.  The kiln wash was not as smooth saying that you do need to use it on your moulds.

Dawn

bigmac

Hi I 've sorted my problem I think my temp wasn't right on my kiln. I have come down to 800 and it's fired perfect for a tack fuse, this is the temp I use for my float glass its worked anyway!!
I've also made my pieces thicker, thanks for your suggestions.