Main Menu

Depth of field?

Started by sparrow, April 25, 2008, 02:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Hiya, I think that's the right term. I've got a Canon EOS350D, so should be able to produce fan-dabby-dozey pics of my stuff, but the focus is really tight - I'll get one end of a bead in focus, but not the other. If it's an encased bead, the poor camera is completely helpless and tries to focus on inclusions/outer layer/inclusions/outer layer.......any whizz know what setting I need to put my poor camera out of its misery (this is mainly with the macro lens, but the normal one as well).

Thank you!!!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Dickie

You need to reduce the aperture size (increase the value)

The problem is you probably don't have enough light so the camera is having to open up the aperture wide to let in more light. This has the effect of reducing the depth of field.

On your 350D either set the camera to Aperture priority (Av mode - the big wheel selector on the top right of the camera) and set the aperture with the finger wheel to something above about 12 (preferably more, but don't go too high or your shutter speed will get too slow) alternatively go to full manual mode.. but that's a whole other can of worms... that I haven't got time to go into now.

Hope this helps
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

sparrow

Thanks Dickie :D Have changed the setting and am waiting for a bit of light to play  :D
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

dangerousbead

Ditto what Dickie said. Do you have a tripod & a cable release? Then the light won't matter too much when you set it to apperture priority if the exposure is long. Also if there is a white balance setting on your camera (not familiar with your model) you can light it with an angle poise and set the camera white balance for that light source. I'm a medical photographer and I have the worst trouble getting decent pics of my beads, and I'm using professional equipment & lenses :-[. So don't despair. All the top photographers take about 300 shots to get one decent one. I think I should stick to dead bodies  :(

sparrow

You take pics of dead bodies for a living? I never knew that!!! At the moment, I'm just lying on the floor, resting it on my arm. Changing the aperture kind of worked (see my pic in the S'n'T), except it now *thinks* it isn't sharp - I have to set it on autofocus and just snap, even though it looks blurry in the viewfinder, because the pic is actually sharp. For now, that's good enough for me, and way better than before - thanks again!
Sabine x

dangerousbead

Quote from: sparrow on April 25, 2008, 04:49:44 PM
You take pics of dead bodies for a living? I never knew that!!! At the moment, I'm just lying on the floor, resting it on my arm. Changing the aperture kind of worked (see my pic in the S'n'T), except it now *thinks* it isn't sharp - I have to set it on autofocus and just snap, even though it looks blurry in the viewfinder, because the pic is actually sharp. For now, that's good enough for me, and way better than before - thanks again!
Um.. yes, sorry. Mainly bits and bobs, I won't go into details here in case I upset anyone, but you can't be  a photographer in a pathology dept without, doing a spot of still life! Happily I might be expanding to help another department ith their graphics/elearning probs. Fingers crossed I can come up to their expectations.
The bead pic you put on S&T looks absolutely spot on, and very lovely as usual. Did you get my cheque yet BTW?

Zeldazog

Quote from: dangerousbead on April 25, 2008, 04:43:03 PM
Do you have a tripod & a cable release?

If you haven't got a cable release you also try this to avoid camera shake (still very easy to shake a camera on a slow shutter, even with a tripod) - my camera doesn't have the standard cable release, so I simply sit it to take the picture on a few seconds delay - it has settled down by then!

mizgeorge

Quote from: dangerousbead on April 25, 2008, 05:16:41 PM
Um.. yes, sorry. Mainly bits and bobs, I won't go into details here in case I upset anyone, but you can't be  a photographer in a pathology dept without, doing a spot of still life! Happily I might be expanding to help another department ith their graphics/elearning probs. Fingers crossed I can come up to their expectations.
The bead pic you put on S&T looks absolutely spot on, and very lovely as usual. Did you get my cheque yet BTW?

Huge respect to you - it's such an important job - and it must be a very difficult thing to do at times.

dangerousbead

Huge respect to you - it's such an important job - and it must be a very difficult thing to do at times.
[/quote]
Thanks. After 27 years I'm immune  : )

ebj

Hey - I have the same camera - new to me (got a great price off e-bay) and am learning to use it. Cant answer your question, am having other problems - I got a light tent- lights and a light box, and as soon as I take a picture in the tent with lights on I get WHITE - nothing else lol. Its something to do with the aperture? I have alot to learn  ::). My book arrived he other day as I dont have a chance of figuring out the manual settings from the booklet that came with the camera. I TRIED lol.

Of course - now I want to learn EVERYTHING I can about my camera - and have a new interest in photography!! Why didnt anyone warn me lol. Last thing I have time for is a new hobby  ;D

Hey - if you figure it out - let me know. Good luck x     
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com

Dickie

LOL... shows my mind... I read that as "Bits and Boobs".. I was thinking interesting job you have there ! ;) ;)
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

dangerousbead

Quote from: Dickie on April 28, 2008, 12:27:33 AM

LOL... shows my mind... I read that as "Bits and Boobs".. I was thinking interesting job you have there ! ;) ;)
You name it I've photographed it, Dickie. :o