How long does your bulk propane tank last?

Started by Soo, March 27, 2008, 11:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soo

I've had a bulk system for my hot head since November last year. My first lot of propane lasted to mid February but I only really started using it in earnest after Christmas so I'm not really sure exactly how long it lasted.

So I know that this one that has just run out on me has only lasted about six weeks. I have been using it 3-4 hours at a time 4-5 times a week so I reckon about 20 or so hours a week (yes, I am thoroughly obsessed at the moment!) So that means it has only lasted upwards of maybe 100 hours. I seem to remember that Martin at Tuffnell's Glass said a tank would last about 300 hours (but I might've remembered wrong). I am also wondering if my tank was properly full up by the supplier ... but maybe 100 hours is about right? How long does everyone else's last? (My tank size is 11kg).

I thought I would do some photography instead of bead making this morning to update my website and show off a few creations on the forum but the batteries are dead! It is a day of running out of things today!  :-\

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Hi, I've just replaced my 11kg tank after it wasn't sloshing any more and was turning my transparent glass mucky - after about 55 sessions of an average of 2 hours per session. So, after all that, I guess mine lasted a little over 100 hours. It didn't run out though and I'm probably underselling the average time  ;D. It certainly wasn't 300 hours.
I've just got me a 19kg tank so that should last even longer......

Shirley

The larger of my tanks is 6kg and I reckon I get about 60 hours. I think your tank was probably about right.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Soo

Thanks both, sounds like 100 is about it - that still would've been many MAPP gas cylinders so am saving lots by having a bulk system.

flowerjasper

i have a 6kg and it lasts a while, bout 6 weeks,  50 hrs prehaps?

Soo

Thanks Sandy - it all adds up to being about right. Can't get any more gas til this afternoon, we have only got one car and DH needed it all day yesterday and this morning for work - as IF it's thats important enough to delay me getting my gas!  ;)