Boro Cabachon - going back in the kiln

Started by ebj, March 20, 2008, 09:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebj

Hi. I wasnt sure where to put this - thought this was the best place. I have a beautiful boro cabachon from the states (couldnt find any here please let me know if you make them) and have set it into a metal clay ring. The clay can be fired at the lowest at 650 for 30 mins.

I was wondering how boro behaves when it goes back in the kiln, should I just use my bulk bead annealing programme but up the temp to 650?? I'd hate to crack it :( Any boro experts here ?

Thanks

Emma   
Emma

Art Clay Senior Instructor & Lampworker

www.emmabaird.wordpress.com

beadysam

Hiya hun
I don't know enough about boro to comment, and I don't think many people here have done much with it either.  You might get an answer over in the Boro Room on LE.  I luuurve the effects boro gives and the stiffness of the glass but its much more complicated (for me at least LOL) than soft glass!

ebj

Thanks For the reply :) I know that there are a couple of boro workers here - maybe they havent seen this yet or are not talking to me  ::)

I'll keep looking for the answer x
Emma

Mary

Sorry, I work boro, but I've never tried that! In the Exotic Art of Bracelet Forming she ramps on full  for bending boro. I do know boro shocks much less easily than soft glass. I'd say a soft glass schedule would be safe to avoid cracking, more conservative than you really need.

One thing to watch, high temps can change striking colours quite significantly.

ebj

Thanks Mary :) I guess I'll just have to chuck it in the kiln and see what hapens to it !! I have contacted  its creator but no reply yet. Not many people seem to make boro cabs mary - bit of a gap in the market needing filled! I'm always on the look out for them!!

Emma x     
Emma