annealing schedule help

Started by beads-on-toast, March 16, 2008, 12:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beads-on-toast

Hi guys

since i have my first set of ALL cracked beads, can you advise me on your annealing schedule?

when checking mine today (since a power surge) it seems my temps are down by 70 degrees????

RA1 Full
Co 1 450
HLD (time i am beading for)
RA2 300
Co 2 450
HLD 100 (one hour)
RAM 000

this is the one that caused all my beads to crack
Should Co 1 and Co 2 be about 520?

Kay

I have an SC2 and use this schedule (posted by HelenP) and not had one crack.

PRO1 (or another free slot)
Ramp1 149C
Temp1 520C
Hold1 60 mins
Ramp2 78C
Temp2 371C
Hold2 0000mins
Ramp3 0000

Kaz

I use the one above too but currently only batch anneal. Had a few cracked beads but only around 5-10% in total.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

beads-on-toast

oh yeah - i am annealing as i go

i am not batch annealiing

Kay

if I am doing it as I go along i ramp mine up to 566, then hold it for however long i am beading then drop it by 90c to 390 then just switch it off, I cant remember where i got these numbers from but have never had a bead break unless I faffed about with it too long in the flame.

Shirley

I use the batch annealing one as given above, and for garaging I think I set it to hold at 510C for something like 8 hours to give working time (can override it), then ramp it up to 520C to anneal for one hour, then back down again. I'll have a look when I go out to my kiln. I think I set it to ramp up slowly so it wouldnt overshoot too.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

mariag

Helen P posted the following for annealing as you go with an SC2.

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=861.0

Not used it myself yet but have only had 2 cracked beads using her batch annealing schedule.

Kaz

Ah that's helpful Maria - will set up another standard schedule for annealing direct from the flame.
Cheers
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!