Encasing silver

Started by turnedlight, March 07, 2008, 01:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnedlight

Just trying to figure it out - sometimes when I encase silver, it turns gold coloured, which is sometimes unwelcome. Does anyone know if this is due to the base colours? I thought it was too much heat, and have been careful to cool the bead right down before encasing.. it doesn't really happen on trans colours, only opaque, so I wondered if it was a reaction more than the heat? Any pointers gratefully recieved ;D
kathryn

Caroline

which clear are you using?

it happens to me sometimes when i use Lauscha clear

beads-on-toast

yeah sounds like you could be using moretti, i use vetro for mine

Shirley

some base colours will turn silver yellow, even when you don't encase it. I used ASK lilac ice with some silver frit and the first went yellow. On most other colours it was fine.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

turnedlight

Nope I use vetro. I know if you lay silver over things like pink and lilac, they go a horrid yellow, but with this, it all looks good until I touch the vetro on, then instant goldy effect! Never mind - I guess it's just going to happen, and I should keep it away from the opaques :)
kathryn

Billie

How hot is the glass you're encasing with..?  Maybe you need to remove the Vetro clear from the heat for a few seconds before laying it on..?

turnedlight

I will try that next time - thanks :)
kathryn