hothead bulk fuel HELP

Started by dangerousbead, February 12, 2008, 03:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal

Quote from: sparrow on February 13, 2008, 02:13:17 PM
Pipes from Wickes, sawn down to size and taped together - not at all neat in real life, LOL  ;D

Cheaper than buying pipes (free in fact!)-go to your local cinema and ask for any cardboard poster tubes they've got lying around-mine was really pleased to get rid of them  ;D I just got DH to cut the length down a little so they fitted the space I've got better. Not the most high-tech but it works!  ;D ;D

June

We've got our glass in a frame made with two shelves of a shoe rack with criss cross struts and DH put a frame work between and it works great - but I guess you could use one of those wooden wine racks if the gap between the ends was the right distance?  ;D   

Kaz

I got a wood and metal wine rack from Habitat which is dead sturdy and stood away from the wall it is able to accommodate Martin's longer rods.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

dangerousbead

:D mine's all in pretty biscuit tins and old vases. There's nowhere to put flowers anymore, so it's a pity but all those bouquets that arrived this morning ..................I had to send them back :P

dangerousbead

Right, I've spent the whole day annoying Martin and to-ing and fro-ing the camping gas place and finally persuaded them to sell me the correct gas, (liquid propane in an orange/red container, like for BBQs)I've wrestled with the jubilee clips and got this bulk fuel hothead rig set up but... it's really slow, am I doing something wrong? I only need to turn the regulator about half a turn to get a half decent gas flow, if I open it any further the glass melts but nowhere near hot enough to stick to a mandrel. This is going to bug me. Perhaps I should've gone staight to a bench torch proper and learned to live in the shed. Also when I release the quick release connector it goes PAFF - alarmingly. Any hints from you beautiful people please?

Sal

Not sure about parts of your problem but I can help with the quick release bit. I always leave my torch turned on (lit) and turn off the gas at the bottle. I let the gas burn out of the hose-this apparently helps to protect your hose as well as the gas can degrade the hose over time. Once the flame has gone out and the gas has stopped coming through completely I turn off my torch and diconnect the quick release. That way there is no noise  ;D

Bluebottle

Quote from: dangerousbead on February 14, 2008, 04:45:40 PM
Right, I've spent the whole day annoying Martin and to-ing and fro-ing the camping gas place and finally persuaded them to sell me the correct gas, (liquid propane in an orange/red container, like for BBQs)I've wrestled with the jubilee clips and got this bulk fuel hothead rig set up but... it's really slow, am I doing something wrong? I only need to turn the regulator about half a turn to get a half decent gas flow, if I open it any further the glass melts but nowhere near hot enough to stick to a mandrel. This is going to bug me. Perhaps I should've gone staight to a bench torch proper and learned to live in the shed. Also when I release the quick release connector it goes PAFF - alarmingly. Any hints from you beautiful people please?

You've probably got the wrong regulator the one you need is a "high pressure one" you don't need a quick release with a propane set up except to add more complications  ::) ::)

dangerousbead

Quote from: Bluebottle on March 16, 2008, 03:12:20 PM
Quote from: dangerousbead on February 14, 2008, 04:45:40 PM

You've probably got the wrong regulator the one you need is a "high pressure one" you don't need a quick release with a propane set up except to add more complications  ::) ::)

Oh, well I bought the bulk fuel rig as a kit from Martin Tuffnell which is what everyone else seems to have so I assumed that was all correct, I've changed the torch now. Mine was from Fireworks, I now have a proper HH and it works like a dream, but if I have any problems with that I'll reconsider the quick release. It certainly seems a good idea for now as the Propane is outside and I have to hose it in through a window. to just pop out and disconnect it is easy peasy
Thanks for your thoughts anyway

Bluebottle

OK I stand corrected   ;D :o ::)

Mike