Main Menu

Encasing

Started by fionaess, February 09, 2008, 02:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hil

I have been practising on and off using coloured transparents instead of clear, as I only have effetre clear and it is a sod!  I have found that using BeadySam's PushyPully tools are a great help as you can push the glass right up to the mandrel (being careful not to let it touch the mandrel).  I also just add the odd dots of extra glass wherever it is needed so as not to make the bead too large.

Hil x
Is there anybody out there?

www.SpaTownBeads0407.etsy.com

Amber

Tan, you're a hero!  :D

I tried out Tan's tip and made a tiny core bead - just one skinny wrap of glass - then I pretended to myself that I wasn't trying to encase and wrapped the transparent over the top, as I would a normal bead onto the mandrel. And here's the result!

I'm soooo chuffed. Not perfect yet, but definitely getting there!  8)

Sal

They're really pretty  ;D Must give it a go myself

fionaess

Yesssss Amber  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fiona

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Amber

Sorry for hijacking your thread Fiona, just couldn't contain my excitement!

fionaess

Hey Amber.. its not my thread... its our thread  ;D ;D ;D

Fiona

Kaz

Those look great Amber.
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

glassworks

well done, both to amber and to tan!..  ;D

fionaess

Emma very kindly sent me some nubs of rods... odds and ends.. and some of them were clear.. so I pulled them into stringers and used them about 20 mins ago to see if I could encase..... oh frabulous bliss...whatever glass it is melts beautifully, doesn't burn, I'm in heaven.. but I don't know what glass it is.  I've pm'd Emma to ask her, and when I find out I will post a pic of my first encased bead, and the glass as well..
I am so verrrrrrry pleased, I honestly thought it was my sheer incompetence and impatience, mind you 30 mins to encase a bead is a bit too long :D  The one and only, which I have just done, took around  5 mins... Im a Happy Bunny  :D :D :D :D

Fiona

Amber

Pics!  :D

It's a great feeling, isn't it?!

fionaess

Pics... well which half of the beautiful bead do you want to see.... I took it out of its blanket and found it in two pieces.. thermal shock had set in .. probably because I had actually managed to make an encased bead  :D
But I'm off to make another one, if I can do it once, I can do it again, with my nub stringers  ;D ;D

Fiona

June

Oh no, Fiona !  Why does that happen?  ::)  Still, as you say, if you can do it once, then maybe you have already created another - so better luck with this one !   ;D

flowerjasper

i have just been to the essex bead fair,
i picked up my order from martin (tuffnells glass) i also treated myself to some CIM glass,
cim cerris is a cloudy clear, pearly,
thought i would try it over some trans blue.... low and behold the best clear encased bead i have done!!
melted really easily,
sandy

Shirley

Nice one! Just stick with it. It gets easier to 'read' the glass as you get more experienced.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver