Main Menu

Encasing

Started by fionaess, February 09, 2008, 02:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

I got some of the Lauscha new clear from Q and it seems really nice - the rods are very thin to and so it melts easily and you can wrap it round several times to get the initial thickness and protect the base bead. Not cheap though :D
Kaz
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

beadysam

Quote from: afina on February 09, 2008, 06:23:41 PM
There is a new kind of Lauscha clear which is really soft. And there is the new Reichenbach 104 clear, very soft, too. I like the Reichenbach very much. Don't know who carries it in the UK, though.

Interesting, I might get some 104 clear next time I stock up on Reich frit - I'll have a browse over at LE see what they think to the clear....

Shirley

I think Martin Tuffnell has Reichenbach clear....
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

glassworks

the "soft" lauscha is the new "2007" version.. not as stiff as the earlier version but juts as clear..

a certain major Italian glass maker (NOT vetrofond for a change) gave me a handful of still warm hand pulled clear rods to try - he has totally re-formulated to get rid of the reputation his clear has for being scummy and not the best quality... griet is winding beads with it as we speak (type!)...

;D ;D

beadysam

Keep us updated Q....

Why is it the really pale transparents with just a hint of pink or blue, don't scum...? ???

afina

Q, if Moretti would be able to make a good, non-scummy clear that has no cracking issues either, that would be just great!!! Pls keep us informed!
Regards, Verena
Glasperlenwerk - My bead-site with blog (German) - http://www.glasperlenwerk.at
Vetromagic - Frit and fritblends in COE 104 - http://shop.vetromagic.at

fionaess

I would be really happy to test it for you Q....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fiona

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

LesleyMac

Seems like Tan has been really helpful to you here because she broke it down into tiny steps and its easier to take a tiny step than climb a mountain, Tan is so clever.   ;D As for the clear, I think Laucha is brilliant however it seems to crack in bigger beads, Vetro is better than Effetre and I haven't tried any of the others. About time I did though and the Reichenback seems interesting, oh for a scum free clear, that is easy to use and doesen't crack. ;D
Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)

My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196

glassworks

we have also just been told by gt glassworks (of black nebula and green envy fame) that they included their new crystal clear in my shipment due here tomorrow.. it is in paris now, and will be here tomorrow morning so i will check it out.. George is making all the right noises about this clear - for example he wraps each rod individually so that there are no scratches during shipment etc... we are VERY keen to see this, a even our precision104 gets a little scratched up in the shipping..

;) ;D

Ilona

I made some larger beads for Christmas and that Launcha ones cracked.  I had never had beads cracking before. I now am usuing the Vetrofond and so far no problems. :)

Bumpy Beads

I just remembered something else that I've found helpful. Instead of practicing encasing with clear, choose a coloured transparent over a contrasting base. That way you can see what you're doing more easily until you get the hang of it.  ;)
Heather

My Etsy Shop

fionaess

Thanks for that tip Heather.. and yes, clear is really difficult to see  :D

Fiona

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Ilona

But how do you stop the bubbles?

I like the bubbles, but not everyone does, and I think it can weaken the bead.

Amber

I've been struggling with encasing too, but I love the effect, so WILL NOT let it beat me! I keep thinking I've mastered it, but then find that a tiny bit of the core has 'escaped'...same thing every time!  :( It does seem like part of the problem is that the clear is so stiff that by the time you've melted it the core is melting too.

Good tips though - I'll try Tan's tip and some different transparents and see what happens!

littlegiggles

I've tried encasing on and off since i started in july 06... and suddenly mastered it on little beads... just came over night... I had no probs with murrini but I just couldnt make encased round beads.. so it really is that PPP