Pepe jump ring maker problem

Started by ruth, August 10, 2018, 10:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruth

I know it isn't lampwork and that there are speacalist sites on FB but I thought I would ask here first. I make a lot of chainmaille stuff and teach a bit so decided to buy the ring maker. It is a lovely bit of kit but I break the blades and I don't know why. They are pricey, nearly£15 each.
Any tips or advice welcome
Frittering the children's inheritance.

mizgeorge

Are the blades actually breaking or just losing teeth? If it's the former, it's likely to be some sort of misalignment that's causing the blade to spin slightly off-true, if the latter, then lubrication could be the problem, or using too fine a blade, or even just too hard a metal.

I have a couple of ring makers, but always seem to end up reverting to hand sawing, despite the ridiculous number of rings I cut.

ruth

Thank you George. I think it is misalignment. It is difficult because I cut several hundred rings and then it breaks. I always apply lubricant to the coils before cutting. On the fineness of the blade issue I am cutting copper or silver coils and using Pepe blades. Are there different thickness of blade?

mizgeorge

There are sources for blades that are a fair bit cheaper, and yes, they do come in different gauges. I'm back at my main pc until later next week, but will find you a link or two as soon as I am.

ruth

ruth

Quote from: mizgeorge on August 11, 2018, 01:11:39 PM
There are sources for blades that are a fair bit cheaper, and yes, they do come in different gauges. I'm back at my main pc until later next week, but will find you a link or two as soon as I am.

Dont mean to pester but would really appreciate this info. I know you are busy but I have drawn a blank on internet. Thanks
Ruth

mizgeorge

Sorry Ruth - brain like a sieve!

My favourite suppliers are both out of stock (though the Ring Lord may well get them back in soon). In the meantime, try these: http://www.ottofrei.com/Pepe-Jump-Ring-Maker-Sawblades?custcol_of_xc_size=1402  or these: https://contenti.com/pepetools-jump-ring-maker - works out a fair bit cheaper even with postage. Both companies are very good at sending international stuff by letter airmail.