Only one on the circuit??

Started by SueP, January 11, 2008, 11:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SueP

Well following all the advice my SC2 + bead door has arrived.  Loads of resource here for first firing etc so I feel only slightly nervous about that. 

My question is - the manual says to run it on a circuit on its own but my shed has only one circuit so I am likely to be running the strip light and oxycon as well.  Do I need to worry about this?  I suppose the worse that could happen is a blown fuse :)

Sue

Lee - Kilncare

I wouldn't worry about too much mate. The instructions will more than likely be looking after you so you don't overload your socket. If you are plugging it into a double socket then probably best not to run a 3kw room heater off the same one, other than that I see no reason why the kiln cant be used in the normal way.

If it is an internal issue on the kiln then it should have in built protection anyway.

Enjoy ;)

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Vicki

I run an oxycon, kiln, an extractor & a radio of the same extention :-\  I did try a heater on its own (just to warm up before I started you understand ;)) & turned the kiln on...it didn't like that much though...horay for reset buttons ;D

glassworks

everything except the heater will be fine together with the kiln...

in fact, once the kiln is at tempreture the demand drops enormously, and i would be very surprised if you then could not use the heater too.. it is only when heating up that the draw is at its maximum..

the sc2, 3 and bluebird xl's are VERY well insulated!!  ;D

Lee - Kilncare

even so, I'd still make sure that the extension lead is fully unreeled to stop the cable over heating.

True, the kiln is on for longer when it is heating but it is worth bearing in mind that there is no "half power" for the SC2. it is either on or off. So when it is heating up it is just on for much longer. When it is holding, each time you here it click on it is full power being turned on, just not for very long.

I personally would not put the heater on at all whilst the kiln is running. The heater may be 10 amps and the kiln the same, that means that for the short period that the kiln is on whilst it is holding temperature, there may be 20amps on your 13 amp extension lead.

TWITTER @kilncare
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

SueP

Thanks for all the advice I have it going through my first prog empty at the mo in the conservatory (too wet to keep running out to the shed) .

Shed is wired in so  I will take your good advice and just not run a heater whilst it is on :)

LittleMoo

Would an SC2 be ok if used at the same time as an oxycon, extractor and washing machine?

glassworks

the washing machine and kiln would likely trip the power if they were both pullig down current to heat at the same time.. the heater in a washing machine can pull a few kilowatts easily, and combined with the kiln at max draw you may well have problems.. the two big devices are the washing machine and the kiln, if you can live with one or the other the rest should be fine.. also, once the kiln is up to temp it draws a lot less current to stay there - so if you absolutely have to, stick the kiln on first and only run the wash once the kiln is ticking along..

LittleMoo

Q, you're a star! I'll make sure the washing machine has finished before I do my test fire then. kiln arrived this week but i've been too scared to use it till now  ;D

Did u get my PM about the group order btw?

Lee - Kilncare

You say you have had the shed wired in. You could do with finding out what circuit breaker is used. If it is 30 amp then you can run both no problem and possibly if it is 20amp. Check with the electrician that installed the supply. Tell him what you are wanting to use.

You may have a pleasent surprise ;)

TWITTER @kilncare

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Lee - Kilncare

TWITTER @kilncare