Main Menu

Sell custom glass

Started by lightman, May 11, 2016, 12:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightman

I am a light artist, not a glass artist. I want to experiment with 'fibre optic' hand made stringers approx half - 1 mm diameter. I am looking for someone to buy these from. Initial test batch of 100 pieces all 75 mm long. After that maybe many more if idea works out. Please contact me with your price. Many thanks lightman

Moira HFG

That sounds like a complex job.

If I understand correctly: light conducting fibres don't need to be glass, but they do need to have a coating of a similar material with a lower refractive index. I'm not sure how that could be done with common lampwork glass.

Anyone else know?

garishglobes

I've used borosilicate glass with light. It does work, to an extent, even without a coating - though I was using 10mm rod, not 1/2mm stringers!

I could probably pull 75mm stringers in clear boro, but I'm afraid that: a) they wouldn't be a guaranteed thickness and b) I don't want to do them by the 100! I'm sure someone would, though. You perhaps need a scientific guy?

Ian Pearson

Hand pulling would be labour intensive and reflected by the price but I would be willing to give it a bash. Tolernces would be key though.

Ian