New Shedio set-up

Started by lampworklover, May 03, 2016, 09:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lampworklover

After a house move, I am in the lucky position to have a temporary (two years or so) 10 x 8 shedio to use, which DH spent yesterday putting up.

It's on a nice level base, and the first thing I would like to add is some sort of floor as the composite stuff seems a bit flimsy and I want it to be a little more insulated from the cold ground below.

Any tips on fitting it out, or any ideas that in retrospect any shedio users would change please? I had a permanent structure before, so lampworking in a wooden space is all new to me!

Mars

Following with interest  ;D

Fluffstar

I've not been in my shed long (just over a year now) but I've found that, for afternoon/evening torch sessions in Winter, it's nice to have some lights from the house to the shed, like patio lights or something.  Our garden backs on to a train line and so it can feel a bit isolated down there on your own in the dark in a flimsy summerhouse/shed.  Always good to be able to see someone coming (even if it's Mr bringing me a cuppa!) so I don't jump out of my skin and ruin whatever bead I'm working on!

Also, I have one of those bottle-carrier jobbies that lives by the back door for carrying the various bits of stuff that oscillate between the shed and the house.  The number of times I've had to turn the torch etc. off again and go back into the house because I've left my diddys on the side in the kitchen...  Oh, and always remember to bring mugs back.  I think Mr thinks that the shed is where mugs go to die.
Kathy

lampworklover

Quote from: Fluffstar on May 03, 2016, 01:31:36 PM
I've not been in my shed long (just over a year now) but I've found that, for afternoon/evening torch sessions in Winter, it's nice to have some lights from the house to the shed, like patio lights or something.  Our garden backs on to a train line and so it can feel a bit isolated down there on your own in the dark in a flimsy summerhouse/shed.  Always good to be able to see someone coming (even if it's Mr bringing me a cuppa!) so I don't jump out of my skin and ruin whatever bead I'm working on!

Also, I have one of those bottle-carrier jobbies that lives by the back door for carrying the various bits of stuff that oscillate between the shed and the house.  The number of times I've had to turn the torch etc. off again and go back into the house because I've left my diddys on the side in the kitchen...  Oh, and always remember to bring mugs back.  I think Mr thinks that the shed is where mugs go to die.
Ah, outside lighting; you know I hadn't even considered that! There is lighting to get me so far, but a little corner that might need attention good point, thank you.

BeeBeads

I had remote controlled lights fitted in my shedio.  It means I can turn them on before I leave the house and I don't have to
turn them off until I am back in the kitchen again.  It operates the lights in any combination and includes the outside light
above the shedio door.  It's been the best thing I had done because I'm a bit of a scaredy cat in the dark!  And if I forget
to turn the lights off I can do it from the house instead of having to traipse outside again.

ruth

Flooring
The nice people who provided and built my studio put insulation between the concert base and the floor. Husband put a further layer on top and then topped that with cork tiles which were mounted on insulation board. I hate cold feet.

On top of that I have rugs near the work bench area but not the torch area. I had my doubts about the cork but I have dropped hot things without any more damage then a little mark. Easy to clean and kind to dropped things.

Hope this helps.

Ruth
Frittering the children's inheritance.

lampworklover

Thanks all.

Ruth, I think flooring is going to be the next thing we look at; we did find a huge quantity of slate floor tiles in the old pigsty, but have tried them on the floor and they wobble about too much! Going to think about something a bit flatter!

Pam

Flooring: Kingspan them plywood, then tiles, slate, Lino , or any flooring of your choice. Have had this down in my shed floor which is purely on wooden rafters and its a warm and cosy shed. Still looks and behaves like new after 8 years. I would also say that I had polystyrene sheets to line the walls covered with MDF which I painted and the ceiling the same. To finish offI had corrugated bitumen over the felted roof. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer,
Hope this helps.
Pam

lampworklover

Brilliant, thanks Pam.

We debated insulation, and have decided on bubblewrap behind MDF.  Hadn't thought about doing the roof externally.

myrica

No advice, just wanted to say enjoy your new work space!

DementedMagpie

[quote ]
Also, I have one of those bottle-carrier jobbies that lives by the back door for carrying the various bits of stuff that oscillate between the shed and the house.[/quote]

You may have just rocked my small self-centred universe with this idea; thank you. I may even have a spare one of those things lying around...
Kathy

Blog - Flickr - Etsy - Facebook

Lynnybobs

I've gone with polystyrene insulation covered with plywood for the walls and then painted.
The floor is covered with plywood and just some vinyl flooring left over from doing the bathroom in the house which is easy to sweep and mop clean.
Also got some cheap blinds from IKEA for the windows to pretty it up a bit and keep out the sunlight when I'm not using it as I noticed my oxycon was going a bit discoloured but its a summerhouse so has big windows!
Lynnybobs
----x----

Fluffstar

Sorry for the minor thread hijack, but; people who insulated their sheds, did you put the insulation right on the wood?  I've read conflicting advice and horror stories about buildup of moisture, but I can't face another winter like the last one!  Water kind of seeps through the wood a bit as mine's quite an old summerhouse, and I don't want to spend a fortune on insulating it only to go all rotten and horrid.  Did any of you use an online guide or anything?
Thanks in advance =)
Kathy

Pam

We lined my shed with Tyvek stapled to the wood, then the polystyrene then the MDF. Definitely no damp, moisture or anything nasty.

Lynnybobs

Mine was painted on the outside first to ensure no water can penetrate the wood before it was lined.
The polystrene sheets had a foiled paper-like covering on each side, we just cut the sheets to fit between the batons - not had any problems with damp at all.
Lynnybobs
----x----