Main Menu

How large can I go?

Started by Lotti, February 17, 2016, 05:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

Gosh I don't post on FH for years and then twice in one week ;)

Quick one, how big a marble do folks think I can make on a Lynx and a 10L oxy?  I can definitely do 4cm diameter, possibly 5 at a push.  I have been asked by someone to make a 6 or 7cm diameter marble but not sure I have the fire power for it (I am going to have a go of course ;) ), but was just interested on what people think (I SOOOOO need a hotter torch, but sadly no funds at the mo, one day!).  Thanks in advance :) L

Steampunkglass

I couldn't get to 5cm on my lynx with 10ltrs of oxy, and to be honest I don't find making the larger sizes any fun as it just feels like battling with a big lump of hot glass and getting hot and bothered, I'd rather do smaller and more interesting designs. The problem is for each few millimetres you add it really increases the mass that needs to be heated and slows down making so much for me.
However there are always customers who come up to me and say, 'hey, could you make one this big, that would be cool,' and I think they'd say that even if I had a 12inch marble on the stall! I did come across a chap in the usa who makes vortex marbles just under 6inch diameter, (just can't find the link right now) he says he starts with 46mm rods, uses 3-4lbs of colour and a lot of dichroic, wears the full metal suit to make them, and has access to liquid propane and oxygen. He doesn't make many of them, and they start at $7000  :o

Ian Pearson

Think oxy in cylinders would help and try using two burners oppossite each other like a cross fire. 70mm should be fine. I am doing that this weekend but of course no colours!

Ian

Lotti

Quote from: Steampunkglass on February 17, 2016, 07:09:44 PM
I couldn't get to 5cm on my lynx with 10ltrs of oxy, and to be honest I don't find making the larger sizes any fun as it just feels like battling with a big lump of hot glass and getting hot and bothered, I'd rather do smaller and more interesting designs. The problem is for each few millimetres you add it really increases the mass that needs to be heated and slows down making so much for me.
However there are always customers who come up to me and say, 'hey, could you make one this big, that would be cool,' and I think they'd say that even if I had a 12inch marble on the stall! I did come across a chap in the usa who makes vortex marbles just under 6inch diameter, (just can't find the link right now) he says he starts with 46mm rods, uses 3-4lbs of colour and a lot of dichroic, wears the full metal suit to make them, and has access to liquid propane and oxygen. He doesn't make many of them, and they start at $7000  :o

Ha ha ha, 6 inches, NO!  I agree Glen, I think it could be hard work and I am sure my punties aren't strong enough to stop a heavy one ending up in my lap!  And I guess you would stuggle to get heat right into the centre to get the clarity you need.  I am going to see what I can do and let her know, I have told her I think it is unlikey, really I suppose what she wants is a blower not a lampy!l

Quote from: Ian Pearson on February 18, 2016, 07:54:15 AM
Think oxy in cylinders would help and try using two burners oppossite each other like a cross fire. 70mm should be fine. I am doing that this weekend but of course no colours!

Ian

LOL, not the kit I have I am afraid ;)  Maybe I'll send her to you Ian ;) :)

garishglobes

I think you're doing well to get up to 4-5 cm! I know Jamie makes bigger marbles but to be honest I think he'd struggle to get up to 7cm because of the weight and size of the thing. Mind you. just clear glass would be easier than adding colour because clear is generally  a bit less stiff.

Ian Pearson

Och aye clear is very flexible but not sure I would call it less stiff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian

garishglobes

Tis less stiff than most borosilicate colour, is all I'm saying!!

Lotti

Quote from: garishglobes on February 18, 2016, 09:35:04 AM
I think you're doing well to get up to 4-5 cm! I know Jamie makes bigger marbles but to be honest I think he'd struggle to get up to 7cm because of the weight and size of the thing. Mind you. just clear glass would be easier than adding colour because clear is generally  a bit less stiff.

Most of mine are clear with a bit of dichro (galaxy stylee) or the vortex ones with frit backing or the flowers (which are the biggest at the mo).  This one (actually she wants 4!) is a memorial piece in 'galaxy' stylee with dichro, ashes and a frit backing (I have done a 4cm one of these already), so most clear glass.  I do agree that I won't make 7cm, might get to 4.5 we will see, if I can't and she is adament I might point her in the direction of Jamie ;) or Ian ;) :)

Lotti

Sadly after what seemed like hours and hours, 4.5cm :(  and it's not 'perfect' either (just wanted to see what I could do).  Never mind, will have to take up glass blowing if I want to make bigger ones ;)  Or win the lottery so I can have BIG torches and several oxycons ;) :) Was fun trying though :)

flame n fuse

I'm impressed! How long did it take?

Lotti

Quote from: flame n fuse on February 25, 2016, 10:14:26 AM
I'm impressed! How long did it take?

Thanks.  Felt like flipping ages but probably 'only' an hour!  I just couldn't get it to round up and to get the clarity I wanted, it is pretty much round (ish).  I got so hot though, I do have some thermal fingerless mitts that I wear (keeps my hands warm when the studio is cold and protects my arms when working on the 104 frit on a stick rods, also protects me from the heat when working on these marbles, but I hadn't got them on when I made this!!!!).  I have only got a lynx so something with a bit more firepower might have given me a slightly bigger marble, but it is the weight of it holding it and hoping it doesn't fall off into your lap!  Generally though I find them relaxing to make, so just go with the flow and try not to shout at the Archers on the radio ;) :)

Moira HFG

Lotti

Quote from: Moira HFG on February 26, 2016, 02:52:49 PM
How's this for more firepower?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Herbert-Arnold-40mm-Zenit-with-marver-Yellow-Bench-Burner-Glassblowing-/231840634461?hash=item35fac7565d:g:2NYAAOSwG-1Wue3d

;)

Lovely :)  Sadly a bit out of my price range and bet it doesn't like oxy's (I wonder how many you would need to run it!).  Something to dream about ;) :)