Making Glass Beads book - review advice please

Started by Ian Pearson, February 17, 2016, 07:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Pearson

Just dug this book by Cindy Jenkins out of my library so thought i could review it for BSSG Journal but as I am not a bead maker (shame on moi!!!) was looking for guidance. Anyone used it/ Is it any help? Seems very USA based

Ta in advance

Ian

flame n fuse

It's a pretty good book. I'm looking at version dated 1997. Others are Kimberley Adams (2005) The complete book of glass beadmaking and Corina Tettinger (2002) Passing the Flame. You can learn a lot from any of these. Jenkins book is the cheapest of the 3. They could all do with a bit of an update - perhaps cover more types of glass, update info on torches and oxycons and studio safety and they are all published in N America. I prefer the more neutral text style of Jenkins and Adams books to the personal style of Tettinger, but others would say that Tettinger is the one.
A quick look at my copy of Jenkins - I can't see any mention of kilns and bead annealing (!) maybe I missed it, whereas the other books do.

Moira HFG

I'd agree with all that. Any of the three are fine; however each one has a few handy little tips and ideas not to be found in the others.
Regarding annealing - I seem to remember Tettinger's advice is something like 'turn the kiln off and let it cool down': hmmmm!

Steampunkglass

Its one that I think a lot of beadmakers start with, I know I did (before going off onto the 'hard glass  ;) ) and as I recall it was a very good starters book, with lots of interesting beads to look at and aspire to, along with good advice about how to do the basics. I'd still recommend it to anyone who's interested in starting beadmaking or lampworking, as far as I can remember the about the only confusing 'Americanism' in it is that difference in colours of propane tanks

Ian Pearson

Thanks for feedback. Annealing is mentioned in book but have now put book back on shelf at home. For annealing Borosilicate then its true one can put in oven take up to temperature and just switch off. Leave door closed until cold enough to open and remove glass. Check with strain viewer for no funny colour patterns. easy.

A new book by scientific glassblowers ( I have written one of many chaptres)is currently being written which is good. Maybe out late this year or early next

Ian

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Ian Pearson on February 18, 2016, 07:51:36 AM
A new book by scientific glassblowers ( I have written one of many chaptres)is currently being written which is good. Maybe out late this year or early next

Ian
Ooooo, now that's sounds interesting, maybe you'll offer signed copies Ian  ;) The newest book I have just on scientific glass is the Hammefahr & Strong book, and looking inside the cover that was printed back in 1968!

Lotti

Quote from: Ian Pearson on February 18, 2016, 07:51:36 AM
Thanks for feedback. Annealing is mentioned in book but have now put book back on shelf at home. For annealing Borosilicate then its true one can put in oven take up to temperature and just switch off. Leave door closed until cold enough to open and remove glass. Check with strain viewer for no funny colour patterns. easy.

Ian

OOh, looking forward to seeing it Ian :) I never had the Cindy Jenkins one for some reason so can't add my pennith worth I am afraid. 

flame n fuse

yes Ian is correct, Cindy's book does mention annealing and kilns.