Anyone selling a Lortone tumbler?

Started by firedinglass, October 28, 2015, 08:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedinglass

I have had a tumbler sitting in my workshop unused for some time. I got it out and yeh it seemed to work but unfortunately it just won't turn the barrel. I have replaced the belt  and done the rubber band thing....but it just doesn't seem to have enough oomph!
I am only using a small barrel  with mixed shot as it is just a few earrings I am tumbling but .the motor is just not strong enough
I have read that the Lortone tumblers are the ones to go for so does anyone have one  they want to sell that is hanging around not being used!
Fingers crossed!  Please pm me!

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

ajda

I have a feeble old tumbler, probably similar to yours. I find it can't turn a heavy or unbalanced barrel. When using shot, I reduce the amount of shot to reduce weight and I fill quite high with water (maybe four fifths full) which helps distribute the weight. A couple of drops of washing up liquid soon turn the water to froth which might help too. My tumbler also runs best at a slight angle, so I put a few layers of card under its foot at one end - trial and error to find the most efficient angle, where the barrel doesn't slide too rapidly to one end or other of the rollers. It likes a bit of warm up time, so I switch on and let it run for a few minutes before placing the barrel on it. Lastly, I make sure the rollers are always clean and the bearings oiled, so the barrel doesn't slip and the rollers runs smoothly.
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

Carefulkate

mine is also temperamental but like Adja says small stuff usually ok if I adjust as he does  ;D

ajda

Not just small stuff - it's the overall weight and distribution of weight that matters. Mine's tumbling 6 chunky silver bangles right now...
Alan

firedinglass

Would a multi drive gemstone tumbler be OK to tumble shot and earrings do you think?
It apparently has a good motor but is usually used to tumble  gemstones and rocks not silver or glass... I know some of you out there know all about tumblers!
It certainly looks more professional than the one I have!

Lisa

mizgeorge

Most tumblers (including Lortone) are designed for rock/gemstone tumbling rather than jewellery or anything else. They're made in such a way that they can be run for weeks on end safely, as is needed for stones.

ajda

George is right - though if you use it for different things it's worth keeping separate barrels and tumbling media.
Alan

firedinglass

I suspect d as much thank You! I had heard that the finned barrels are the best to use with silver , do you think there are any negative points if using just normal barrels?

Lisa

mizgeorge

If you opt for a plastic barrel (which can be pretty noisy) then fins/vanes are a good thing to stop everything just sliding rather than tumbling. If you have rubber (much quieter) then they're not necessary as the rubber 'picks up' the contents just fine.

ajda

Fins are good, as George says, on the hard plastic type barrels. I managed to break one of mine off trying to jam the lid on with a ceramic pyramid stuck in the way. Now it sounds as if it's limping - tumble tumble ooph, tumble tumble ooph - but still seems to work fine... I might try gluing it back in some time...
Alan

ruth

I also have a small tumbler that caused me problems for a lot time. Mainly with the barrel not turning properly and sometimes flying off the rollers completely. Problem solvers for me are

Don't overload with shot.  That was the main problem. I had too much weight even before I added water and silver.

Rough up the rollers and the barrel to improve friction. I keep a small piece of sandpaper under the machine to remind me to do this from time to time.

It works better with the handle of a old spoon under one edge.

Clean the barrel and shot by running it with FLAT cola in it occasionally. (Go on ask why I emphasize FLAT)

Thank to George for the last tip.

My £60  tumbler from Manchester Minerals has served me well for over 10 years with these little  nods to its eccentricities .

Frittering the children's inheritance.

firedinglass

Thanks  for the everyone's tips!
I've tried most things other than the handle of the spoon! I assume this is to make it slope a bit? Where do you place the handle? Flat cola..... I suppose if it cleans coins it will clean a barrel!  Will give it a go!
I still lust after a Lortone tumbler but until I find a good buy I will try to keep my old tumbler going.
I do have a sneaking suspicion it is beyond help.....
Lisa

Lisa

ruth

I place the handle of the spoon under the narrow edge that doesn't have the the rubber band. Without the spoon the barrel seems to want to get as far away from the rubber band end as possible and the then stops turning.

I also lust after a Lortone tumbler but I also lust for big OxyCon, a ton of glass and more jewellery making tools than Cookson stock and time to use them all.

Ruth
Frittering the children's inheritance.

ajda

Quote from: ruth on October 31, 2015, 10:42:51 PM
I place the handle of the spoon under the narrow edge that doesn't have the the rubber band. Without the spoon the barrel seems to want to get as far away from the rubber band end as possible and the then stops turning.
Mine needs propping up at the other end - though for the same reason. You'll probably need to watch which way and how fast the barrel creeps to one end or other before deciding whether it needs propping up and by how much.
Alan

firedinglass

I obviously haven't been as lucky as Ruth because I have to be honest and say my tumbler has been a bit of a pain since day one, forever falling off the rollers and stop starting but I will persevere and see if I can get it to stumble along. We all have a long lust list, from a date with Pierce Brosnan to a new tumbler but somehow the tumbler  seems more achievable, realistic and not over greedy.....

Lisa