New to boro, any tips gratefully recieved.

Started by redjay, June 02, 2015, 12:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redjay

I have just put in my tuffnells order and have ordered a selection of boro.
I have up to now only worked with soft glass and wondered if there were any Need to know tips that would be helpful?

Can I garage with my soft glass if I am working with relatively small pieces?
Is it very different to work with?

Any thing that you think will be useful would be great thank you in advance.

Off to college later so will check back this evening I expect x

ajda

Kiln temperatures are a lot higher for boro than for soft glass, so garaging together might be OK-ish, but not annealing. A lot depends on which colours you are using. With some of the amber-purples, for example, you might try garaging at annealing temperature (565C), then kiln-striking in cycles, holding long periods at 565C, ramping up to 620C, holding for half an hour or so, cooling to under 250C, ramping up again... but others, such as most of the aventurine colours don't like that sort of treatment. Read up online about the characteristics of each colour you're using - most of the manufacturers give advice on how to work their colours and there's a wealth of independent hints and tips out there as well. And be patient - if you're used to soft glass only, you'll find boro feels very stiff and slow, needs much more heat, never really flows like soft glass... Use clear glass to experiment - it's relatively cheap, so you can get to know how it behaves without wasting too much. What torch are you using? No matter what it is, you'll probably be wanting something bigger before long if you really get into boro!
Alan
www.ajdalampwork.etsy.com

redjay

Thanks for that.
I am on a Bethlehem alpha.
I will do a bit more research and watch some tutorials on you tube.
:)

garishglobes

There's a good amount of information on Lampwork Etc too, including colour combinations and starter tutorials  :)

Clear is another colour with boro. It can really change the look of colours underneath it, which means that you can get great textural effects within the glass just by adding clear and mixing the glass/making patterns. It's also probably the 'runniest', though some of the Asian colours flow well too.

Have fun!

redjay

Thank you for that.
I am hoping to have a play today.  :)

Ancasta

I also suggest you find the series of youtube videos by the wonderful Dunstan of Revere Glass. He offers a lot of Boro advice, tips and techniques which are respected both in America and by the Murano lampworkers where he also teaches once a year, as well as visit the Maestros. If you're not into the smoking culture it doesn't matter, the techniques he demonstrates are major methods used in the modern Boro glass community. If you're anti-dodgy smokeware, try not let that cloud your judgement on the general advice he offers to those new to boro.
Your Alpha should cope with the basic Boro till you are ready to upgrade, and I recommend you join the Bethlehem group on Facebook as Kate their engineer is fantastic on offering torch advice. And you can see their new massive torch :D
Happy melting!