PPL in US and Canada

Started by marijane, May 16, 2015, 08:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marijane

I am busy breathing life back into my etsy shop and just making sure I have everything in order first.  So I checked up my PPL insurance I have through membership of the Guild of Jewellery Designers, and noticed that US and Canada are excluded.  I don't have any budget for a second insurance policy and wondered what other people did as I think exclusion of these two countries is common.  I will probably decide not to ship to these countries for the time being.

Blue Box Studio

Do you have assets in the US and Canada?  If not, no one would pursue you through their courts as they will not win any money.  If they are that persistent they would have to pursue you through a British court, for which any UK PPL cover will cover you.  Advice was given by 2 solicitors, a broker who does sell PPL worldwide cover (forget cost, enough to make me gasp) and A-N's brokers hencilla canworth.

Of course, if you drop ship and have stock in a foreign warehouse ready for local despatch, that is an entirely different issue.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

cbeadies

Just a thought, is it better to list on Folksy to aim for UK buyers only? I don't yet sell online but was wondering the same thing about selling to the US as my insurance does not cover sales to there either.
  :)

marijane

I wondered that too Cbeadies, but I prefer the look of Etsy, and it seems to be more popular.  Personally if I am shopping for handmade I go to Etsy first, and set the filter for UK, so I don't get caught for custom charges or transit delays.