PVA Can You?

Started by sherbetfirings, May 06, 2015, 07:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherbetfirings

I'm not having much luck with the glass tac I am using...slides and moves too much for what I am trying to achieve, has anyone tried using "minimal" amounts of pva to stick the pieces together,does it burn off or does it affect the result.....or can anyone suggest an alternative...Many Thanks

Pat from Canvey

PVA works fine . See previous posts by I think Dee Poole, a member here in the fusing tutorials section, (chewsymum on Youtube)

CindiDee

There is also a Glass tac gel available now which is a lot thicker and stickier than the usual glass tac - haven't tried it but believe it is supposed to be quite good.

Blue Box Studio

I use PVA and super glue, both from the pound shop or Ebay, both burn off fine. 
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

sherbetfirings

Thank you! That's great...I love PVA! ;D

marklaird

Lots of the websites / books etc talk about Elmers Glue which is what I use, but from the look of it, it's really just PVA.

I think the key is to just use small amounts as it can (apparently) leave a grey residue when it burns off.

I use the glasstac for frit, stringer etc. and the Elmers for larger pieces or where I need it to dry / hold quicker.

hope that helps

Mark

AngelaH

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: AngelaH on May 11, 2015, 10:49:51 AM
I always use PVA  :)

So do I and it doesn't leave a residue, I just Googled "composition of Elmers Glue", see "Polyvinyl acetate. Poly(vinyl acetate) (PVA, PVAc, poly(ethenyl ethanoate): commonly referred to as wood glue, white glue, carpenter's glue, school glue, Elmer's glue in the US, or PVA glue) is a rubbery synthetic polymer with the formula (C4H6O2)n."

nuttybeader

Apparently Aloe Vera Gelly works well.  I will admit I have not tried it yet, but it is clear.

AngelaH

Blue Box Studio

Have had fogging with tiony amounts of PVA on clear glass (I use a cocktail stick to put it on) so moved on to superglue, again minimal amounts and so far no problems.  I buy the really cheap stuff in strips of 12 tiny tubes off ebay for 99p delivered.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Moira HFG

Try wallpaper paste! Excellent grab and hold, and stupidly cheap at about a pound for a bag.
Mix a teaspoonful up with water when you need it, it keeps for several days. Vanishes completely in the kiln.

I have to give the credit for this to Cynthia Morgan's excellent blog 'Morganica'.

Trudi

Quote from: CindiDee on May 06, 2015, 08:39:05 PM
There is also a Glass tac gel available now which is a lot thicker and stickier than the usual glass tac - haven't tried it but believe it is supposed to be quite good.

I didn't find it much better than the original stuff .. I prefer PVA