Bottle clock problems

Started by Carl, April 03, 2015, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl

Hi all
Thought this bottle would make a nice clock due to the circle of raised text and the shape of the label.

20150403_125051 by carl.grigg, on Flickr

What I forgot to take into account is the base of the bottle was going to fold up over the circle of text.

20150403_125136 by carl.grigg, on Flickr

rather spoils the effect. I have had 3 ideas so far

1. Cut base of bottle off
2. Cut some glass off the back of the base to encourage base to not fold up so much
3. Slump bottle face down on a bet of fiber paper in an attempt to protect the text

Has anybody got experience doing this or any comments on the above ideas please. Mind you if I have to try all options I would need to drink the bottle contents so no rush  ;D

Pauline

I know someone, who at the critical point in the slumping programme, opens the kiln and "encourages" the bottom to slump the way he wants it too.
not sure if that is allowed, but I know Pat has raked when the glass is at that stage
risk assessment and kevlar gloves would be required

Pat from Canvey

The glass only rakes for me when it's at 930 deg C or above and at that temperature , I think the words on the bottle would disappear. I think 1. might be the better option but have never done it. You might be able to get away with that bottle if you put a longer spindle on the clock works so that the hands were raised above the level of the base. You might also decorate the spindle behind the hands by adding one or more BHB's. I'm presuming that you're adding the clock face with numbers behind the bottle, Just thinking out loud.

JKC

I have made some magnum size champagne bottles into clocks, I had to buy lots of spindles to find the correct length.  If you look at small fused bottle clockson the internet, you will see that the bottoms look just like yours.  I have fused down some bottles where the I have changed the temp and times, but I think they look weird if the bottoms are fused down to flush.  I agree with Pat, adjust your spindle length.  Good luck.

Janet

Carl

Thanks to all for the help. Last night I emptied a couple of bottles and hope to get time later to experiment further. will report back.