Oxycon / propane / torch mix problem

Started by Hartofglass, December 26, 2014, 07:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartofglass

Hi,  I have a problem getting my oxygen propane mix right. it is only about 2 months since I bought my oxycon and nortel buner and it has been working fine until this last week. The oxycon is fluctuating slightly but I cannot get a decent flame. If I turn the oxygen pressure to between the 4 and 5 then the flame is tiny. If I turn up the propane then the oxygen is not enough.  I have checked that the pipes are secure and everything seems OK. I have cleaned the torch. Nothing. Changed the gas cylinder. Nothing. Has anyone any suggestions?  Tuffnell's aren't back until 5th Jan. I'm already 10 days without being able to bead!  Please help if you can!!

Shirley

Have you tried turning it all on and then adjusting the setting on the regulator on the tank? It might have got knocked onto a different setting.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Hartofglass

Yes. I turned it all off and then I followed the set up instructions for the oxycon again. Sadly it made no difference. But thanks for your kind suggestion

Dragonfire Glass

If the oxycon is giving a stable pressure then, as Shirley says, check your regulator on your propane tank. Just moving it a small amount can make a big difference.

Shirley

Quote from: Dragonfire Glass on December 27, 2014, 12:21:48 AM
If the oxycon is giving a stable pressure then, as Shirley says, check your regulator on your propane tank. Just moving it a small amount can make a big difference.

I had a similar issue a while ago. I'd just changed tank and thought that was the problem, so even took the gas back to the supplier and swapped it. For some reason I decided to play with the regulator, probably because I'd tried everything else. I was on a hothead at the time so didn't have to think about oxygen. Anyway, I lit the torch, had a teeny flame, and then started turning the regulator to alter the flame and it worked. Can only think I must have knocked it accidentally.

Worth a try.

Margram

Have you opened the oxycon up to look inside? With electricity off of course, for safety. It sounds like a pipe may have worked loose or split...

Another thing which might be relevant - oxycons like to be warm and dry. If you are working in a damp outbuilding it might be sulking :-\

Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Hartofglass

I will open the oxycon to see if any of the pipes are loose.
The studio is attached to the house and is nice and warm.
I've tried fiddling with the regulator on my propane tank. It was turned down to stop. Trouble is I don't know what it should be at.  The numbers and where you position the knob is not very clear. After a lot of fiddling (the tank is outside and the torch is inside) I can't get it to work as it should. Although I can get a bigger flame the oxygen bubble keeps going up and down.  Do you know what the propane regulator should be set at?  It's just the standard one from Tuffnell's and is connected to a 13 litre tank.

Hartofglass

I've opened the oxycon and everything seemed OK apart from the filter wasn't fitted. I put that on - although not sure that I should have done?  Nothing seemed loose so I screwed it back on and when I switched it on the ball doesn't go up and down anymore!!  Thank you for that!

Certainly the flame seems better now as it stays constant. Though it doesn't seem entirely as it should be maybe that is the propane regulated that isn't set right. If anyone has any advise on the regulator I would be very grateful. Thanks   :D

flame n fuse

my propane regulator is set at about 3.5 bars.

Dragonfire Glass

regulator is all the way open then back a quarter turn

Hartofglass

I've reset the regulator and it WORKS!!  Not only that - but thanks to you guys I now have the best flame I've EVER had!!  Respect  :-*

Shirley

Quote from: Hartofglass on December 27, 2014, 06:50:45 PM
I've reset the regulator and it WORKS!!  Not only that - but thanks to you guys I now have the best flame I've EVER had!!  Respect  :-*

Yaaaay! :D

Margram

Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Calico Cat

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .