Skutt Firebox 14 or Kilncare Hobbyfuser?

Started by RLBrown, September 28, 2014, 10:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLBrown

Hi Everyone

I'm trying to decide which kiln to buy and can't decide.

I've been hiring kiln space for glass fusing for nearly a year and I've decided to take the plunge and buy my own kiln.

Looking at the specifications, but the firebox and hobbyfuser are pretty similar in size.

I've not had a kiln before so need all the kiln shelf/ kiln wash/thin fire etc.

My question is, is the hobbyfuser worth the extra £400 and waiting 4 weeks for delivery?

Rachael

Quirky Bird

Hi Rachael,

I don't know anything about the Skutt kiln, but have do have two Kilncare kilns (the Bead Cube and the Maxine), and now have my sights set on one of their fusing kilns. I also use a Kilncare fusing kiln at my evening class at college - not sure which model that is though.

I can highly recommend Kilncare - an excellent British company and their customer service and after sales care are second to none. What Lee and co at Kilncare don't know about kilns isn't worth knowing. If it were me, I would prefer to shell out the extra money and wait a while.

Not that I'm biased or anything....... ;D

Hope this helps,

Abby
A clean house is the sign of a broken oxycon.

Moira HFG

I don't have either (I fuse in a secondhand Paragon 7), but looking at the two, I think I'd go for the Hobbyfuser, if I could afford it.

Firstly, for the reasons Quirkybird gave - not just good aftercare but spare parts should be available. Secondly, because from the look of the elements in the lid, I would expect heating to be more consistent across the whole firing surface. My Paragon has a similar element pattern to the Skutt, and I know not to use the edges if I want consistent melting.

Jane C ♫

Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website

Lee - Kilncare

Hi, I will offer a totally biased view :o)

It is simple really, if these kilns were cars, the Skutt would be a trusty Ford where as the Hobbyfuser really would be a Ferrari or Rolls.

Hobbyfuser advantages.
None brick lid resulting in no dust contamination.
Quartz tube "infra-red" elements evenly spread across the lid.
Lid opening assist springs.
3 years guarantee on ALL parts including the elements.
British designed and built.
Incredible performance.
Ultra economical.

And of course, in my view I have no worries in making the bold statement that The Hobbyfuser is THE BEST plug in kiln in the world bar none.

There you go, my totally biased view  ;D

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

RLBrown

Lee - Thanks for the totally biased view.

I've just ordered one of your hobbyfusers via Warm-Glass :-)

I had already made my mind up anyway, but wanted to say that I was very happy your view was based on the positives of the hobbyfuser rather than the negatives of other brands.

Rachael

Lee - Kilncare

Hi Rachel, great news that you have chose the Hobbyfuser,

When you make something as good as The Hobbyfuser, there is simply no need to slag off the competition because, well, in quality terms, they are not competition at all.
;D

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

jeannette